Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking for older machine

Brandt ยท 2015-05-31 18:51

I'm shopping for an older machine that will see about 200 hours of work/year. It seems that New Hollands are cheaper than the others. Are there more issues w/ a NH vs Case vs Bobcat...? I'm also seeing Gehl and Mustang and am not familiar with either. Any help and direction would be appreciated. What I want: 40HP or more Lift 1200 or more Aux Hyd smaller bucket (60"), or a "standard" set up so I can use "standard" attachments. I want to avoid a lot of electronics - I prefer mechanical controls. Under $10K

Replies15
  1. #1Greenstreet2015-06-01 12:27

    This is a long shot, but if you find a good Skat Trak they are cheap, simple and strong. Downside is that if you break something major there is a good chance you won't find a replacement part. It will make a one heck of a paper weight someday... Volvo purchased the line and I've been able to get pedal control cables and some basic parts. My 2000 1700C was made just before the line was branded as Volvo so some of the latter ones may have more parts availability. Don't go out of your way to find one. But if you stumble across one of these poor orphans, it's worth checking out. Because of the parts issues, pass if it's in rough shape no matter how cheap! There are no fancy electronics. Cab lifts for easy access. Uses 10w-30 in engine and hydraulics. It's nice to have that brut 86 HP Perkins engine and extra weight. Others in the range where over my budget! With OTT tracks and it's doing everything the tracked Bobcat T190 that I rented for a week did on the last project. Have fun looking!

  2. #2mikebramel2015-06-01 18:12

    Gehl, Mustang, New Holland, or Case

  3. #3KSSS2015-06-01 19:26

    The older NH machines are good. They have their issues like everything does, I don't like the hand foot operation so I would never own one, but they sold million of them.

  4. #4Brandt2015-06-02 15:16

    Funny thing - my mechanic recommended the same thing!! I did a web search about 6 weeks ago and only found 2 yr old ads. Other than Case, does anybody else make them?? Are they classified as a mini-loader?

  5. #5Brandt2015-06-02 15:21

    By older are you referring to 1970's or 1990's. I'm looking at 90's vintage.

  6. #6Brandt2015-06-02 16:25

    Maybe this is the new & improved Scat Back: http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=10684661 http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=10778221

  7. #7Greenstreet2015-06-02 17:30

    Search on SCATTRAK (one word)... Seen Skat Traks listed both ways. That can work for you. I've seen things listed on Craigslist under "skid steer" or "skidsteer". One of those guys won't get as many hits and may sell cheap. Incorrect spellings are golden when you stumble on one! Prices looked high on Machinery Trader. Unless I go to sell mine, then they are GREAT. Again, remember that it's an orphaned machine.

  8. #8Jonas3022015-06-02 22:19

    Be aware that older new hollands will not have the standard bobtach Quickattach they can be switched over for about $1200 very solid machines

  9. #9JGibson2015-06-07 18:47

    Get a Case 1845C. Some of the best machines ever made

  10. #10bobofthenorth2015-06-08 10:44

    A year ago now I was looking for an 1845 Case but all the ones I found were beat and the owners were really proud of them. I got lucky when I found a 1750 Skat and it has been great. Dead simple machine - all mechanical controls - lots of power in the Perkins. Its a little slow when you road it and a little bouncy but excellent value for the money IMHO.

  11. #11Desertwheeler2015-06-08 10:49

    I would get a 90's 763 bobcat. 50hp 1500 lifting 60-66" wide. I sold a very nice one for 7k it was a 98 model. They are very simple easy to find parts and reliable. Kubota engine is good.

  12. #12Brandt2015-06-13 11:26

    I'm looking at a Bobcat 743 and a Mustang 2070. I missed a Case 1845 and 1740 by a few days.

  13. #13Swannny2015-06-13 16:04

    Bobcat 743 will beat you to death with the short wheelbase. Get the 2070. Plus you'll enjoy the higher HP and lift capacity. JMO

  14. #14Brandt2015-08-16 21:52

    Well, another 743 popped up right in my neighborhood. I brought that one home. I gave $7900 for it with 4100 hours and aux hydraulics. Yes, it does beat you up a bit, but with time I'll get to operating it a bit smoother. This is gonna be my wife's machine and she is tickled about running it!!

  15. #15Bumpsteer2015-08-17 00:03

    Well.......I've owned a 743 for 25 years now......ride be damned, it's one of the best skidsteers ever made in it's size class, enjoy it! Ed