Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking for price on undercarriage work.

rutwad ยท 2010-12-14 14:30

Just wondering what ballpark I would be in. Machine is Cat D3G LGP. Probably going with dry rails. Replacing both rails (39 link), 1/2 set of rollers, and new sprockets. Aftermarket for parts and labor should be around where............??

Replies21
  1. #1rutwad2010-12-15 09:20

    Bear with me as I know nothing about undercarriages. Took the track to the barn. It actually broke right near the masterlink. Unbolted one pad and the master link was undone. On that end of the masterlink, the bushing and pin both must have broke for the chain to separate. Then noticed the other end of the masterlink could be pulled out as the pin was broke in it. So this brings another set of questions. Remember it's a dozer used around the farm very little. May sit for a year until it's needed for something. Option 1- Repair it as cheap as possible. Sell it. Rent a dozer for a month or so as needed. ' Option 2- Repair it with new bushings, sell it, and rent as needed. Option 3- Repair it with new undercarriage. option 3a- sell it option 3b- keep it for use as farm dozer, but letting a dozer sit for a year at a time is just asking for trouble. Come time for a project, it may be plagued with fuel problems, hyd. lines busting, etc. Option 4- Sell it as it sits. It's a D3G LGP. Approx. 3500 hrs. Runs great. Hydraulics work great. Some cylinder pin & bushing wear, 2 cylinder bushings need replacing. ANY LOGICAL ADVICE APPRECIATED. Also interested in cheapest way to fix broke rail.

  2. #2Monte12552010-12-15 09:51

    Have you got any pictures of the broken track? if the rails have got some life left in them yet it may be ok to just repair the link, which may allow you to use the machine till times get a little better and you can justify putting some money into the tracks. My thought is that you know what you have already and if it is a good machine for your needs then keep it. Renting dozers is expensvie and with farm economy the way it is it's hard to justify renting which does nothing for your equity. Something as simple as starting the machine and running it every now and then will keep the machine in working order even if you don't move it that much. You can check out these guys for undercarriage if you like, it may shed a little light on the subject as well. http://www.kwpartsandequipment.com/ Sometimes a person just needs a dozer around the farm to handle that aggravating small job that is just too big for a skidloader and detrimental to pneumatic tires.

  3. #3rutwad2010-12-15 15:21

    There is slack (lateral movement) in the rail. Someone said that's a bad indication. No pics.

  4. #4ILLICEMAN2010-12-15 16:21

    Your dozer is worth a lot to you.If you don,t use it alot you might find a used set around a salvage yard. The best bet for you would be put a set on the a store that sells undercarriage components.It could be cheaper in the long run.If you do it right when you go to sell it it could help you resale value. A dozer that has not been kept up won,t bring very much at a sale.

  5. #5inyati132010-12-15 17:45

    I have a 2005 D3G LGP on my farm. It would be impossible to manage the farm as I want to w/o it. I use it to recontour rough areas, build roads, pull timber, put down gravel, clear land, drag trees for firewood, all manner of grade work including regrading areas where cattle were fed over-winter, rutted roads, etc. No doubt some would question the economics but consider that you can buy a small dozer for about the same cost as a good sized 4wd tractor. I would not hesitate to up-grade the undercarriage of my dozer. I get lots of self-satisfaction from the work I do with it. If I had to make my entire living from the farm I might be forced to make other arrangements. I would rather give up my wife than my D3G, I never said that!!!

  6. #6Monte12552010-12-15 18:23

    Everyone thought I was crazy for buying my unit, now since I've had it I can't tell you how many times I was glad it was on the property. I'd deffinatly go through the pain of new tracks again if it comes to it.

  7. #7JimInOz2010-12-15 19:23

    Rutwad, Member QuickTrax should be able to quote your replacement U/C.

  8. #8QuickTrax2010-12-15 19:56

    Rutwad, You would be looking at around 1000-1100 per chain, 100-110 per roller, and probably around 150 for sprockets so you would be around $3000 to $3300 with just parts. I try not to give too many prices on HEF but that should be a fair price with just about any aftermarket dealer. I read your options on this machine. Here is some info I can give. We deal with alot of companies that buy and sell equipment and they look for machines with wore out undercarriage to buy. They will repair the undercarriage (usually dry pins/bushings and sprockets), then resale it for alot more than they have in it. What I am saying is if you put some $$$ into the undercarriage you should get alot more for the machine. I hope this helps. Thanks, Quicktrax

  9. #9watglen2010-12-15 23:06

    At 3500 hours, she's got a lot of life left in her. Do it up right, you won't regret it.

  10. #10Greg2010-12-16 07:26

    I would certainly put SALT back on instead of dry. Adds value to the machine over dry and has much better life. Added price for SALT is not that much either.

  11. #11inyati132010-12-16 09:11

    Hey QuickTrax. Since I have the same machine, does the 1000-1100 cover the entire rail (all 39 links)? Also, is the 150 for sprocket per segment or the entire sprocket? I was expecting these undercarriage items to cost more. I have 2000 hours on my machine. There is probably at least another 1200 hours left on it. But I would not hesitate to repair my undercarriage when the time comes. Thanks. So you know, I spoke to you about cutting down the width of my shoes. Have decided to forego that for now.

  12. #12QuickTrax2010-12-16 16:46

    Your machine takes the same undercarriage as the D3G so those prices should be in the ballpark, like Greg said, I would probably spend the extra $$$ and put salt chains on your machine for just a little more.

  13. #13Temu2010-12-17 11:20

    Definately. I got some wise advice here about just such a decision...NO regrets on the SALTs. All told for me with a 2000, 450G it was about $2900 with sprockets...I went with Berco's.

  14. #14rutwad2010-12-17 15:43

    As far as SALT tracks, someone suggested to me that it depended on your application. Such as running wide tracks succeptible to stumps and rocks places more twisting forces on the rails, causing seals to fail faster. His opinion was that the extra $$$$ was not worth it for the likely extra 100 hrs. Different application, he said he would definitely go with SALT tracks.

  15. #15rutwad2010-12-17 15:45

    By the way, how much more for SALT tracks??

  16. #16jedd2012-03-07 15:03

    have you sold it? if not i'm intrested in it. i need your telephone number. i live in lower alabama

  17. #17jedd2012-03-08 12:31

    uget that

  18. #18jedd2012-03-08 12:33

    uget

  19. #19Violent Jay2012-04-17 04:23

    Hey fellas I'm new to the site but I have been reading yaws post for a while and I've found most of your info to be very insightful. However all these quotes I have been getting for track chains and rollers are way off from yaws guesses. My tractor is older and bigger but I wouldn't think it would be that much different. I have a d6 serial# 9u19963. If anyone could point me in a direction of a aftermarket saler I'd be most thankful because Cat replacements are to high for this old of tractor.

  20. #20CM19952012-04-17 06:44

    Welcome to the Forums Violent Jay!:drinkup What part of AL are you located?

  21. #21buxmontundercarriage2017-10-25 06:24

    Definitely, will help you. Always make every effort to get your machine up and running so that you can get back to work.