Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking for Suggestions on Used Skid Steer

Beckbenj · 2023-09-25 12:34

Hi All, I’m shopping for a skid steer, most likely used, and something around 7K pounds seems about the right size for work I’m interested in doing (property maintenance, light demo). I’m most interested in a tire machine because of cost and ease of maintenance. My budget is a max of $35K, but obviously the lower cost the better. I can live without an enclosed cab. I’m most interested in a machine that is lower hour and is maintenance friendly as I’ll be handling any repairs. Any particular make, model, year to avoid or seek out? I’ve heard not great things about Gehl. I’ve seen quite a few New Hollands and Bobcats around, in addition to a few Cats. Should I shoot for a low hour older machine with minimal computer control (aka confuser) ?

Replies38
  1. #1thendrix2023-09-25 18:58

    I personally am a big fan of Kubota. Mine is a 75hp track machine and it's IMPRESSIVE how much you can do with them. I also have a Case 1845C I use in a stack house and in chicken houses moving litter. They have their quirks but I really can't complain about mine. It's been mostly terrible free which is impressive considering the environment it lives in. I can't speak from personal experience but I man that has a grading company told me to be careful of Bobcat. He said around the 2k hour mark he had to swap engines in 2 that he had.

  2. #2CM19952023-09-25 20:35

    Our 279D Cats have been very dependable. Have 2 one 2016 has around 3K hours on it and we've had to replace the alternator and rebush the quick tach which should be expected. 2019 279 has only needed an alternator. Alternators seem to be the week component at least in the 2 we have. Used to run Bobcat but had to divorce the brand due to the dealer. The Bobcats with Kubota power are decent, I would stay away from the Deutz powered ones. Had an 863 and had to keep a spare fuel pump solenoid in the machine as you never new when it would go out and leave the machine dead. Kubota is a great brand although I have never owned an entire orange Kubota product. Owned many machines over the years with Kubota power that were bullet proof. Our 2 - 279D's have yellow painted Kubotas in the engine compartment.

  3. #3Drag racer2023-09-25 22:15

    I would recommend looking through the skidsteer forums here probably get an idea what to stay away from, personally if possible stay away from computer control.

  4. #4IceHole2023-09-25 23:32

    S series Bobcat are great, and parts easy to find. Made from around 2001 to 2010 or so.

  5. #5KSSS2023-09-26 09:22

    Unlike excavators, skid steers are categorize by rated operating capacity (ROC) not weight. The class from 1800-2200 are largest selling sector. There are two lift types, radial and vertical. Each has its benefits. Radial is nice if your not loading a lot trucks with it , radial has fewer moving parts and the sight lines are cleaner. Some options that are nice to have, ride control is a function that cushions the lift arms, smooths out the bumps for a better ride and allows you to move faster over rough ground, I would find one with a cab, its worth it, just spend the money to buy it. High flow can be a nice feature to have, since you never know what you may end up doing with one, having high flow allows you to run more hydraulic attachments. Is it necessary, no its not necessary for everyone, but if you have it, it gives you options. You have to go back along way to not have a computer involved somewhere. Everyone OEM has had good and bad years and models. I would find a make and model your interested in and post it and see what people have to say about it.

  6. #6Beckbenj2023-09-26 10:34

    The computer part I can understand, it seems like I’d have to go back to a 90’s machine to get away from computers. I’ve been looking pretty hard at a 2012 Takeuchi TS60V with about 550 hours. Not high flow, but it’s in excellent condition for about $25K. Others on the list: Bobcat S650 (high flow, 1000 hours - $27K). Bobcat S450 (std flow, 1000 hours - $18K)

  7. #7phil3142023-09-26 15:48

    This would be a great deal as long as the machine is in decent shape and it's got the kubota motor.

  8. #8ProfessionalForkliftOp2023-09-26 17:00

    2000s b series cat skid steers are something to look into. We have a 252b and it’s been very reliable and a good all around machine. No emissions too

  9. #9Beckbenj2023-09-26 17:27

    It’s in good shape but has the Bobcat motor. Edit: apparently the Bobcat engine is made by Doosan. Not sure what to expect quality wise with a Doosan.

  10. #10ozarkag2023-09-26 18:37

    Doosan motor not too bad, biggest issue is injectors are prone to fail. Clean fuel a must. Will be somewhat more expensive to maintain otherwise too. Just a bit too new. . .

  11. #11phil3142023-09-27 08:26

    Yes, exactly. Doosan motor is good. Biggest thing to realize is they use a common rail injection system. Those system require very clean fuel. It is critial to use good clean fuel and use the updated bobcat fuel filters and change them regularly. Apart from that, it still sounds like a good deal. I've got an S650 (not high flow even) and it's been an awesome machine.

  12. #12Beckbenj2023-09-27 08:39

    Any thoughts on a 2001 Cat 236 with 1500 hours ($25K). Looks to be in great shape, original owner is selling.

  13. #13Beckbenj2023-09-27 09:06

    What can I expect to NOT be able to repair on the S650? I’m guessing Bobcat has a scan tool that requires you to go to a dealer?

  14. #14phil3142023-09-27 09:24

    Almost all newer skids steers are going to require some kind of scan tool/software for some things. With one of these machine, there is going to be times when you need to go to the dealer or independent mechanic and have them program something for you. That's just the way things are now. But on the flip side, the computer will often throw a code telling you what the problem is. That also means it can be very easy to fix the problem yourself. In the end, many problems are still mechanical and require turning wrenches and replacing parts. Which brings me to why I bought a bobcat. I do my own work on my machine. So knowledge is key. Whenever someone asks a question about a bobcat, there are lots of answers. That makes working on it much easier. With most of the other brands, you may get a few answers or even crickets. In cases like that, your more likely to need the dealer. If you are good at turning wrenches, know a little bit about computers, and with the help of this forum, you should be able to fix most things on a machine. If computers terrify you, then consider an older machine, problem with them is it can be very hard to source parts sometimes.

  15. #15Tyler d4c2023-09-27 09:27

    Stay away from the no letter cats they have engine problems. That machine has a 3034 in it they are quite prone to rods wanting to exit the block

  16. #16Beckbenj2023-09-27 09:37

    Thanks, appreciate the insight. Computers are not an issue by any means, I just don’t want to be needing the dealer for every little issue that comes up. Sounds like they are pretty reliable machines and have a good knowledge base!

  17. #17Beckbenj2023-09-27 12:27

    Any experiences buying used Sunbelt equipment? Apparently the S650 was formerly a Sunbelt machine. It seems this can go either way as far as machine condition and really is no different from buying from an owner.

  18. #18thendrix2023-09-27 18:29

    I would think rentals would be ok. They would be fleet maintained I would guess. Have a neighbor that bought a mini ex from United and he's been satisfied

  19. #19ozarkag2023-09-27 18:38

    Rentals are often stripped models, single speed, hand foot control, open station etc

  20. #20CM19952023-09-27 19:28

    Nothing parties like a rental on a commercial jobsite - especially the green ones. Just my $.02 if you want to buy a used rental CTL/SSL you need to inspect it in person and pay $$ according to condition and the fact it was in a rental fleet. There is no "fleet maintenance" I have experienced with the large national commercial rental chains. They buy new iron so cheap they are not concerned with maintenance as they will auction off before major failures. The 1 ton service trucks with the company wraps going up and down the highway are there to replace hydraulic lines, tires and tracks the morons that rent them destroy. That being said I have bought several items at auction from Sunbelt and other national chains. 2 trench rollers, 2 hot water pressure washers and a concrete mixer. Oldest trench roller is still kicking, second one has some kind of electrical gremlin, the 1 pressure washer still works fine as well as the mixer. Buyer beware and know what you're buying is my best advice.

  21. #21Beckbenj2023-09-27 19:34

    This one has two speeds, fully enclosed cab, solid tires, high flow, etc. Seems well-equipped.

  22. #22Beckbenj2023-09-27 19:36

    Thanks, that's how I was approaching this machine. Need to evaluate in person, pay accordingly. It's no different in my mind from buying something used by a single owner. In both cases the machine could live a hard life, or be a great find.

  23. #23CM19952023-09-27 20:17

    The odds are more in your favor in getting a better used machine from a one owner rather than a large rental chain. Just my $.03 adjusted for inflation.

  24. #24crane operator2023-09-27 22:11

    With the big caveat of "unless it was owned by a concrete flatwork company". Those guys tear up skids.

  25. #25Beckbenj2023-09-28 00:25

    Any feedback on a 2011 Cat 242B Series 3? High flow, heat / AC, 700 hours. Very clean looking machine. Asking $33K.

  26. #26CM19952023-09-28 09:01

    Concrete flatwork guys usually rent around here...

  27. #27Dragfluid2023-10-08 21:30

    Don't know if you've made your decision yet, but I was reading this and noticed one of the machines had solid tires. I've got them on my 1845C. They're GREAT for demolition. Just watch out for wires/cables getting wrapped around them. BUT, not the greatest for traction in loose dirt/sand or snow/ice. And they'll shake your kidneys loose on rough surfaces. Will never get a flat though. Rental machines? Beat like a rented mule.

  28. #28Beckbenj2023-10-09 11:11

    I’m heavily leaning towards a Kubota SSV65. Has about 550 hours, pins tight, very clean. Needs tires but the person is willing to negotiate. I also have a Kubota dealer about 10 minutes away which helps, though I plan to work on the machine as much as possible. Seems like the SSV’s are a pretty solid machine from what I’ve heard and read online. There’s also an SVL75-2 available with 1350 hours. I really wasn’t looking for a track machine but seems to be a good deal.

  29. #29thendrix2023-10-09 18:23

    I've got an SVL 75-2 and an 1845C. There's no comparison. The Kubota puts the Case to shame. But, keep in mind we're comparing apples and oranges. I bought my SVL with 67 hours on it in 2020. It now has 480 hours and all I've done is the 500 hour service and wash it fairly regular. I've run a 60 inch mower, a 36 inch trencher, a grapple, and used a 96" high capacity bucket in chicken litter and it's a fine machine

  30. #30KSSS2023-10-09 20:19

    Well with Kubota you also get a DPF filter to deal with and a crappy HVAC system. You just have to pick your poison.

  31. #31KSSS2023-10-09 20:46

    https://www.machinerytrader.com/listing/for-sale/226792573/2020-case-sr240b-wheel-skid-steers I would go this route. Its in Ohio. 2400 ROC, high flow and a cab and I am sure it could at or close to 35K

  32. #32Dragfluid2023-10-09 23:17

    "with Kubota you also get a DPF filter to deal with"

  33. #33thendrix2023-10-10 06:41

    Personally I don't have an issue with the DPF filter. When the light comes on the instrument panel, you let machine run above 1500rpm for about 20 minutes and it goes out. Basically you keep running. In the original post, it was said "a machine for property maintenance and light demo". I'm assuming he won't be putting hundreds of hours a year on the machine so I personally don't think a week HVAC system is a concern. Especially since he said he's good with an open station machine. Can't get much less of an HVAC system than that

  34. #34KSSS2023-10-10 09:51

    You do know that the filter does fill regardless of self cleaning right? Especially when they are not run very hard. It will need to be replaced. You should ask what that costs.

  35. #35PeterG2023-10-10 11:28

    You don't say real well on exactly what you will be doing with the machine and how big your property is. Regarding the track loader, they are Awesome machines. I have a Takeuchi TL130 that works great. Unless you get an ASV or Bobcat, you will be stuck with tracks that tear up the ground. ASV and Bobcat are the only two machines you can buy smooth tracks for, and not tear everything up. Stick with Takeuchi, Kubota, Cat, and Deere if you want the most forum repair help here. I suggest going for a machine in the $20,000 to $28,000 range and have some money for initial service and repair, plus attachments. These machines can really do a lot but may be overkill. Great for digging and demo and loading. They move fast! I recently jumped into a Bobcat wheeled loader and thought that was like going back to dial up internet. Regarding, a wheeled skidsteer, they are better for use as a light loader, but less demo and digging. They skid around, still making a mess but they are lower in price. I would budget $15,000-$20,000 and have money for repairs and initial service plus attachments Another option is a compact wheel loader such as one by Kubota, Hitachi, Wacker, etc,. Small ones have half a yard to one yard bucket and they don't tear up the ground. Great for zipping along down paved roads, moving firewood, loading trucks, etc. You can get pallet forks for them. Not a digging machine though. I bought a nice Hitachi one for $18,000 Lastly, think about a mini skidsteer. These machines have moved up in size from 2000lbs to 5000LBS. Think track machine here that you stand behind. Easy to tow, easy to store in the back of the garage. Toro Dingo, or Ditch Witch. The newer ones load dump trailers well. A new one is in your budget! I have a Toro Dingo TX425 I use on almost every job.

  36. #36thendrix2023-10-10 13:23

    Ok

  37. #37Beckbenj2023-10-11 11:14

    I would imagine 100-150 hours per year is not out of the question. We currently have about 10 acres that need some serious rehab (redoing about 800 feet of drive, significant landscaping, and adding a few ditches / swales. Also, we’re in the process of looking for an additional 40 acres of raw land for a future house, shop, etc. Regarding the DPF filter, I haven’t heard of too many issues with them and my understanding is that they can be cleaned at the 1500 hour service interval. Looking online, cleaning seems to be around $300-$400. As much as I initially wasn’t interested in a track machine, primarily because of cost and need for track maintenance, there is a very clean Kubota SVL-2 that’s catching my eye. So I’m bouncing back and forth between a wheeled skid (Kubota SSV65) with 550 hours or a track skid (Kubota SVL-2) with 1350 hours. Both are very clean and the guy with the track machine said he’d let me take it for a weekend to test out.

  38. #38JBrady2023-10-11 11:29

    I've been very happy with my Bobcat S250. 2008 model, currently has about 1600 hrs on it. Joystick controls. I wanted wheels instead of tires because of all the rocks I have on my place and I also travel pretty good distances with it, like 1.5 miles. A lot of times it gets used as more of a tractor, like putting out road bales. It is the most versatile machine I have, but it would still be hard to get by without a good old high HP ag tractor. I'd rather maintain roads with a box blade or angle blade over a skid steer. If your roads are in really bad shape, consider hiring someone with a dozer to get them back in good condition and then just maintain them going forward.