We have a few gallion cranes. I understand those are not defunct. True? Anyway, we need to get another crane in the 15-20ton range. Any suggestions where to find one and which are the most reliable?
I have a Grove RT-60S and I am happy. It is an 18 ton rough terrain crane. I can buy all parts for it (but at a high price) from Grove. Seal kits etc are not cheap, but reasonable.
If you have galions and like them, I'd look for another one. I own mostly grove cranes, it makes it nice when the cranes controls and machines are similar. It makes it much easier for operators to go from machine to machine. That's why if you already have them, that's what I'd stick with. There aren't a lot of new options in that 18-20 ton class. No one makes small rt's with swing cabs, because its such a small market. I think Manitex revived the Badger name and is making a small down cab rt, similar to the galion's. New Brodersons are really nice, if you have deep pockets. There's a lot of nice used gallions with diesels on machinery trader, you could also search on cranenetwork. With the oilfield slowdown, I don't think it would be hard to find one. Simple and robust machines. I would probably try to stick with no newer than mid 90's versions, just to stay away from computer/emissions issues on the engines. But I also run 2 stroke detroits on a daily basis, so maybe you shouldn't take my advice too seriously.
More information would be helpful, what do you intend to use it for, what is your heaviest pick and at what radius, where are you and does anyone in your organization have a CCO?
Don't give up on your Galions. They're tanks! I'm almost done rebuilding mine from a Junkyard crane to "almost" new. Contractors Crane out of Houston has supplied me with the majority of parts....and a lot of what they carry is OEM or better (I just replaced the main crowd cylinder check valve, the replacement was a CNC/ground to spec replacement).
I can see that being really hard on anyone's sanity. I moved my uncles tms250 with a 6v53 for him a week or so back and if your 300 with the 671 is as underpowered as that crane was you have my sympathy. After driving one of those is it normal to have a splitting headache or was that something else. We have always had grove cranes so I tend to favor them a little. Grove parts are dirt cheap compared to the terex brands. There's a lot to be said for having the same brand of machines. Commonality across different models is nice. The only thing I would say is that machines/brands that are no longer around can be a real bear to get technical help or parts for. You can usually get an off brand cheaper but there's a reason for that.
Typically after running or driving my 6-71 or 6v92 all day, you can kind of still hear it when you get home. I had a misspent youth building steel grain bins, before hearing protection was fashionable. My hearing is better now than when I was 20, but I do struggle in crowded/noisy rooms (restaurants,etc) . I do have a little constant ringing, that I notice lying in bed, or if no one's in the house and its real quiet. Some of the younger crowd on the job sites think that detroit sound is just the neatest thing. You tell them its a two-cycle, and thats why it sounds like its running 5,000rpm, and they look at you like your crazy. I'm past the noisy is cool or neat thing. I've got some buddies with a noisy harley competition going on, they think the louder it is, the better it is. The last thing I want to do on a weekend after running a noisy hot crane, is climb on a noisy hot motorcycle.