Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking into starting my own mobile service what do need to run a class 6 truck?

Ponyboy ยท 2016-07-24 16:47

I've been a road tech for 9 years for a company and I am trying to find out what I will need to run a mobile service truck for myself. The truck is a Ford F800 26000 gvwr but it has air brakes, I have a class C so I'm good on the 26000. Do I need a air brake endorsement? Also I guess I will need a dot number and what else? Insurance, annual inspections, looking for advice whether it would be the right choice. Thanks in advance.

Replies4
  1. #1Ponyboy2016-07-24 17:10

    The truck I haven't bought the F800 yet. One of the local farmers is selling it. Since he uses it on a farm he doesn't need to deal with dot regs. I'm just curious on what I'd actually need on the regulation side of it.

  2. #2Corallie2016-08-08 01:38

    I know in washington as long as its 26k or lower they dont care if it has air brakes or if you have a cdl. But each state....and cop .....is different

  3. #3old-iron-habit2016-08-08 23:07

    You may still need a medical card if they determine it is commercial. Not sure if it applies while being self employed. Here you need a med card for any size commercial vehicle.

  4. #4kenh2016-08-08 23:20

    Probably a visit to your local DMV, pick up literature, ask questions, etc