I never thought I would have a use for a skid steer, but it turns out I can use one. I am ignorant on all things!! Here is what I would like: Diesel (but could live with gas for right $$) At least 1200lb of lift 40 HP or so Prefer 48" bucket or something smaller than 60" Enclosed cab would be nice but I can add plexiglass to the sides if need be. Under $7000 would be nice. I'm gonna use this about 100 hours/year. I've used Case, Bobcat and am not opposed to Gehl. Not familiar with Mustang or other brands. What are the maintenance issues or design flaws of each brand??
If you are interested in new,I bought a Gehl CTL 85 from Jacks truck and equipment in Casper. I believe Kevin is the fellas name there. They gave me a real good price and a very fair tradein for my old skid loader. They have been good on parts too. I have had pretty good luck with the Gehl. I had a 7800 rather large for your deal. In a skid loader try to get the biggest in your budget as you don't know what the future holds. I prefer a tracked machine on the ranch, no flats from cactus etc. Lots of guys near me have Bobcats, I wasn't impressed but there is a dealer nearby. The Cats are a good machine but I would think they would be proud of their parts and service. I have dealt with Wyoming Cat in Casper with my truck , Been very good to me with service. Just my 2 cents
CASE models that would apply would be 40XT, 410, 420. Find something with a cab for under 7K might be difficult but you never know. The 40Xt and 410 have Rated operating capacity of 1500 pounds and are diesel (you wont find anything built since Carter was president that runs on gas). The 420 has a ROC of 1750.
1200# and 40HP are all going to be 60" wide regardless of the bucket size. They do make smaller units for special applications but the rated operating capacity is less than 1000#. I had one of these smaller units and it did very well but was unstable on much of a grade and very tippy. It did have more lift than what it was rated for but with all things it was not happy when overloaded. I have run the very small Bobcats and the New Hollands neither had an enclosed cab. If you can work with a 60" wide machine there are several 40-60HP machines available. The 5-6ft machines are the most popular and easiest to find.
I'm not gonna use it enough to buy new. Never thought about the "unstableness" of the narrow/smaller ones, that is a good point. I can live w/o an enclosed cab, although when the wind picks up, keeping the dust out would be nice. I'd like to keep it small as I have a D2 and a Case back hoe for larger jobs. Maybe I'll say 60" is my maximum. Sounds like they all function well. Is there a brand model, or age group that I should avoid?
You want to make sure it has the universal attachment that Bobcat standardized. Some of the older non BC machines had their own mount type and standard attachments wont work. I don't know exact dates to when everybody got on board but was mid 90s for some machines. I would not consider a machine without aux hydraulics. If you go with the 60" machines I would get the highest lift capacity machine you can afford. 1700-1800lb ROC machines are the most popular and perform very well for what these machines can do. I have had machines with and without turbo and prefer the non-turbo. A good solid machine will run around $10K in most markets.
$10K - that's why I have always talked myself out of buying them before. For another $2-3 I can have a back-hoe that will do so much more. For another $8K I can have a Cat 225 excavator. These machines hold there value because they can be moved with a p/u, a Cat 225 needs a big truck. I have the big truck/trailer, now I just need to decide which machine I need more!!
Well ease of transport is part of it, also a 225 or backhoe doesn't work if it doesn't fit on the job.
I have a full size backhoe and its great for digging or rough landscaping but the skids will do twice the work in the same amount of time with the loader. I was in your position at one time and purchased a backhoe thinking it was an all around machine. Then upgraded to another hoe and then upgraded again. Was offered a very good deal on a skid and the rest is history. The hoe still gets used but the skids and the attachments are the way to go. I seldom have need for an excavator so I just rent when the need arises. At this point I wouldn't be without the Hoe or the Skids.