Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

LOOKING TO BUY A GRADER : CAT 140G, 140H VHP OR 140M

jason macharia ยท 2023-09-03 10:48

hey Team, I am looking to purchase a motor grader. I am based in Nairobi, kenya. My budget is about $70,000. Kindly guide which is a best fit considering price, technology and servicing/parts. Looking forwsrd to your valued repsonse

Replies14
  1. #1Nige2023-09-03 13:34

    First a question if I may. If you are considering a 140M how would you propose to perform the necessary diagnostics on the extensive electronic system of an M-Series machine.? Literally everything on the M-Series is electronically-controlled.

  2. #2jason macharia2023-09-04 07:29

    Thanks for the quick response to my query. I was going to outsource the diagnotics from the local CAT dealer here called MANTAC EAST AFRICA LTD. But from whsta i am reading the 140M series are good but very electronic in nature thus the dealer meachanics must be at arms length to have peace of mind. This leaves me with two more options the 140G and 140H VHP PLUS models Kindly guide regarding the remaining two options i appreciate the time you are spending to respond to my queries

  3. #3Welder Dave2023-09-05 00:33

    From everything I've heard and read the 140H VHP Plus is the machine of choice but I don't know how good of condition one would be in at $70,000? Does it have to be a VHP Plus model? 140G's were legendary and still sought after but are getting old so may need a bunch of work done to make it a good reliable machine.

  4. #4Nige2023-09-05 04:18

    Exactly. You are opening yourself up to potentially enormous repair costs if you do not have at least some in-house diagnostic capability. In my opinion G-Series machines are now too old to be reliable. My vote would be for an H-Series machine. In your location I am sure that the purchase price would depend more on condition than an hourmeter reading.

  5. #5jason macharia2023-09-07 15:02

    thanks for the response regarding the 140M and 140G. do you have a good idea of where I could get the Cat 140H VHP PLUS model in the USA, preferably with less than 10000 hrs?

  6. #6jason macharia2023-09-07 15:03

    a referral would be nice if possible thanks

  7. #7Welder Dave2023-09-07 15:07

    Why does it have to be VHP Plus? That is the machine of choice but you're limiting your search for a machine in the best condition. There are straight 140H's. Look on Machinery Trader for machines and to get an idea on prices.

  8. #8jason macharia2023-09-07 17:03

    I am advised that the VHP PLUS is a more powerful machine thus less straining on engine especially when performing demanding work. Thanks, I will compare prices on Machinery Trader and revert for guidance.

  9. #9Welder Dave2023-09-07 20:39

    The VHP and VHP plus gives higher HP in gears 4 and above. It is the same in gears 1-3. https://crosscountryis.com/pdf/CAT140HMotorGrader.pdf

  10. #10jason macharia2023-09-08 14:56

    hey Guys, Kindly guide regarding this CAT 140M. Getting here in Kenya for $60,000. chassis: CAT0140MCB9M00691 It has so far done 8,500 hours (cant confirm if it's genuine). Looking forward to your response. Thanks in advance

  11. #11Welder Dave2023-09-08 16:04

    Nige could give you better advice but I remember some of the earlier M series having a lot of problems. Judging by the serial number I think it might be an early one, not sure though. The M's are a lot more complex than the H series. If the price seems too good there's probably a reason. Nobody can tell the condition from just a serial number but can look at issues that were common to other's of the same era.

  12. #12jason macharia2023-09-08 17:42

    it's an auction/repo unit thus the price. it would be good if I could know what problems these earlier units before final verdict.

  13. #13Nige2023-09-09 05:42

    An early one, built October 2008. The most important thing on a machine of that age is that it that all applicable electronic software updates have been done to all the ECMs on the machine. Around the 2009-2012 time frame it appeared as though software updates were coming almost weekly. Another potential high cost item is the failure of a steering control actuator. These actuators, like the software, were updated 4-5 times over the years and only the last generation or two of actuator can be considered reliable long-term.

  14. #14jason macharia2023-09-10 04:11

    Thanks for the feedback. I am having all checks done and will apply all you have recommended.