Hi folks, I just ran a 310c on the dealer lot and found a couple of questionable trany issues. First of all I couldn't figure out the shift pattern. It seems like there were 3 up and 3 down positions from the neutral. The sales guy was not much help since they sell Massy farm equip. Next is with the engine running, and the shuttle lever in neutral, I could not get it in any gear. I could feel the gear grind where it should have clicked in so I didn't force it. I had to shut the engine down first, put it in a gear and then start it in gear to get it to move. Also once rolling, if I put it in neutral while rolling, I still got the grinding on a new gear selection despite the fact I put the shuttle in neutral before my attempt at changing gears on the roll. Im new to the 310 configuration. Also, the shuttle response was quite lazy and starting out in what seemed like second, I could free rev the engine on the roll a few times before the torque converter actually locked up. and starting out in a high gear was just sad, the thing just straining to move at all and sat there. It has over 8K hrs on it and can I assume the clutch packs are played out some what? Im not crazy about the 3 stick & foot plates hoe op but they are asking 10K and if the trans is not in need of a rebuild, Id buy it since the rest of the machine is in fair condition. I had a 1972 JD 500A for 15 years as a property back hoe and I loved the shuttle shift on that machine. 6 spd forward on the shuttle shifter its self and 4 back just push it forward another notch per gear and go. No gear shift lever like this 310. That old 500 was about as bullet proof as they ever came in drive trane. I need a machine like the ol 500 with a strong trany for skidding logs and after this test drive of a far newer 310, Im wondering if I should look at a Case, Ford, or JCB maybe? I just don't know at this point after reading some of the trany issue posts here..... Thanks for any insight about the 310.
After the test drive, We checked the hydro oil tank and it was about an inch below the window with what appeared to be fresh, clean oil. The air filter cover looked like it was manipulated regularly and the engine oil filter didn't "look" very old. So, it looks like the machine has been serviced. Under the brake petals there was a small "step on" switch. Anyone know what that is for? Im thinking this might be an early 310c with the 310b six speed instead of the 4 speed listed that the b is supposed to have. Also, seems the few pictures iv seen of the "c" on the net have the 2 stick hoe but this one has the 3 with foot pedals. Did they still offer the 3 stick as an option over the 2 stick? After 15 years on the 2 stick, Im not sure I can retrain what brain cells I have left to run the 3 w/ petals! I wish this was a good deal since the machine is only 34 miles from my home and they would deliver it free of charge. On the proverbial fence! I just don't know. The old 500 has me spoiled with a shuttle shift that had about a 2 second lock up time when you put it in forward, no lazy TC lock up at all unless the hydro oil was low. The ol girl had a zillion hours on it from the looks of about a dozen some odd fish plates on it and that's before I welded a few more! Hauling that 500 900 miles to my new home was just not in the cards..... sadly.
I've got a 310C. The little step on switch under the brake pedals is a clutch disconnect. It and the one on top of the loader control lever do exactly the same thing. I use the floor switch to shift between gears. The shifter is a simple H pattern, four speed. Straight down to the left is 1st gear, pull straight back towards you for second, down and to the right is 3rd, then straight back from there is fourth. Mine does not take off well in high gear, but will easily spin the tires when against an obstruction when in low. The shuttle shift linkage is about worn out on mine, so I have to fiddle to find the "sweet spot" when starting it. Be sure the linkage is letting it shift all of the way. Greg
Thanks Greg, That explains the whole gear grind situation! But this has got to be a 6 speed with the extra 2 up & down gogs. Im going to take another look at this 310 and see if that small square bottom plate has been off recently. If it has, then that "pick up screen" was more than likely all ready cleaned. If not I'll try and talk them into servicing it to see if I can get the clutch packs to react better. Thanks again for taking me threw "101" with the trany! Be Well
I'm not an expert on those reversers, but that is definitely not right. It won't take off fast in high gear but it should move. Not being able to shift from one gear to another with the engine running, that's a lot of drag, not going to be fixed by cleaning the screen. I can't say for sure the reverser needs a rebuild, but that's what I'd bet. The wait for it to take off is probably not the torque converter, it's the clutch in the reverser, that could be low fluid, or clogged screen, but the drag is something else. $10,000 is too much for a known problem.
Well, I think now that the not being able to get into another gear on the move was simply because I had no idea I had to step on that foot switch under the brake petals to disable the clutch for the gear change. I talked to the salesman today and he said he can have that pick up screen cleaned by Friday. So I'm hoping they will find it plugged up and another test drive will find crisp engine to wheel lock ups gearing up or down. And the heads up on the linkage is something I will check for because I remember the shuttle lever slaps all the way up very easy and could easily not be fully engaged. I wish there were more choices here but this category of machine is virtually never for sale locally like this one. Going to Knoxville or Nashville areas will certainly hike the prices and delivery to boot for a no better condition machine. See what happens with the test ride next week.