Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking to buy a Loader. Advice?

brianscathouse ยท 2016-11-30 23:35

Looking to buy an older loader for moving rock and dirt on my own property. Found a few old John Deeres ranging from 444b, 544a, 3 644s and a 94 Case 621b. Case is newest with lowest hours but has trans issues. Owner thinks it needs rebuild. From what I have researched it may be electrical. 444b is at local dealer and is ex municipal with forks, quick attach and new tires and chains. 544a is an old farm machine that looks like it was restored and hasnt seen much use since 1990. 644s range from late 70s to late 80s. 2 need work. Diff troubles. Newest one seems good but long haul (cost) to bring home. Leaning toward the case. Second cheapest, newest and may be not bad to fix. 444 may be too small lifting wise for what I want to do. The 544 while looking nice may just be too old. 644d seems ok but very far away to look at and has 15K hrs+ on all original components with newer pins. Any thoughts from those of you with experience? This would be my first loader. Repairs dont scare me unless the Case needs a new trans(big$). TIA

Replies5
  1. #1quackattak2016-12-01 02:43

    A model 621 or 721 case would be good, would stay away from the b models.

  2. #2Jim D2016-12-03 00:28

    I think you have got it right. You're just taking chances. Me, I'd buy the good 644D, and pay to have it hauled. I have a 621B that never has had any problems, but I wouldn't ever buy one with trans problems unless I was *sure* it was electrical. For moving rocks and dirt on your own property, bigger is better, so 644D wins. The 621B does less work than a 544G.

  3. #3grandpa2016-12-03 09:47

    Brian, you mentioned some may be too old. In my opinion if you want a good loader hunt down a Cat 966C. Those machines are the best loader. They were made back in the seventies and if you can find one that has been taken care of they are bullet proof. I still own 4 of them and run them in gravel pits. They are always willing to perform for me after all those years. I own eleven loaders and those are STILL my best value!!!

  4. #4brianscathouse2016-12-03 17:40

    Would love one of those but sell for far more than my budget in Western Canada. Goes to show how good they are. Friend offered a 544a to use but not into borrowing equipment and would cost 2K to move from where he lives. Has quite a few issues as well. Going to look at the Case this week. If it looks like electrical issues I may buy it. Has 6400 or so hours and looks in good shape in pictures. Close to me as well. The 444 at dealer is also close. All others are a day trip away.

  5. #5brianscathouse2016-12-04 22:43

    Bought the Case 621B today. Has brake issues causing trans to declutch. Will move cold but as soon as hydraulic oil gets warm it wont move. Pedal very soft and brake pressure warning light always on. Former owner convinced trans was no good. Has other minor issues like lift cylinders need resealing, one steering cylinder needs resealing and pin repair (loose), tires are cracking a bit between treads. Getting it delivered to my shop this week and will go through and fix all issues. At least it appears it wont need a 12K$ transmission.