I haven't settled on a brand yet but I'm leaning towards buying a new compact track loader. What are the must have options? This would be my first CTL so I'm learning from scratch. I will be buying an enclosed cab.
What do you want to do with it? It will make a difference on the options you need.
My experience....enclosed cab,take the glass in to get tinted, pilot controls(not hand foot), hydraulic quick attach, if counter weight is an option for the brand you choose, tooth bucket instead of the straight edge, depending on your work you may need any gaurds for forestry work, 2 speed, 2 sets of auxiliary hydraulic ports, high flow, air ride seat. That's all I can think of now. If you're the one operating it get it as loaded as possible. If you're not the one running it most...get the options that will be good and help on resale side.
This ^^ Even if you aren't running it that doesn't mean you get the cheapest open cab pile there is, if you want good help and someone to treat the machine well it usually starts with making their part of it easier.
It will be used around the farms for feeding hay, cleanup and some occasional brush cutting. I am taking resale into consideration also when buying so I want to make sure it appeals to the widest range. I don't think I need the high flow option though for my use.
I think 2 speed, high flow, and hydraulic quick attach are going to be most looked at on the resale side...besides closed cab. I know when I look around or hear guys looking for used machines...they are wanting those options. I wouldn't consider one without 2 speed, and I only got high flow because I might use it in the future and the option wasnt very expensive...easy to already have it. I also knew that a lot of guys look for high flow machines so I knew if anything it would help on resale side. If you have a lot of attachments and changing frequently you'll want the quick attach.
If you will be using a brush cutter high flow will perform better. Like the others have said enclosed cab with HVAC, hyd. quick tach and the most comfortable seat you can get. 2sp is depending on what you want to do with it, for instance if you need to cover ground quickly or carry items a distance. For what I use my CTL for 2sp is not needed.
Check the ride control option box.
You beat me to it. Ride control is pretty nice, but I don't know if you can get it on machines not equipped with E/H controls.
Definitely get 2speed & ride control, & high flow for future resale even if you don't need it now. IMO, the hydraulic quick hitch is not that important...after all, if you're changing hydraulic attachments, you have to get out of the cab anyway to uncouple/couple hydraulic hoses, so what's the problem with also operating the manual quick hitch?? On non-hydraulic attachments I can open the door on my SSL & operate the manual quick hitch by bending down & not even getting out of the cab!! The other problem with hydraulic quick hitch is that it is a fairly expensive option, & depending on the design, it can be troublesome. Many OEM's have gone to an electric-servo quick hitch, not really hydraulic...do you really want those electrical components on the end of your loader that is usually in the dirt/muck/snow?? I think it is a problem waiting to happen!! Now, IF they made a hydraulic quick hitch that also included auto coupling of hydraulic lines (like is available on some excavator quick hitches), that would be worth considering... If you need a grapple of any sort, I would urge you to consider a Demo-Dozer attachment. Google it...I think it is a unique, well-designed & well-built unit. If you're going to be working in the mud with your CTL, then look for the most ground clearance, the most sealed under-body, & the most easily cleaned out under carriage. Unfortunately, I don't think there is one brand that has all 3. Be wary of hydraulic hoses thru the side body to the final drives. The side body holes let in dirt/muck, not to mention damage to the hoses. Some CTL's have final drives that are sealed to the body with no exposed drive lines. IMO, these are the best. For example, I just recently took a quick look at a Kubota SVL-95 v2 underbody, & the final drives were sealed & bolted tight to the side body & the undercarriage looked very open & easy to clean out...& quite rugged. I have no opinion on it's other features. And lastly, if you will be working in mud by yourself, consider a rear mounted drawbar or winch (electric is OK), because you WILL get stuck/hung up at some point!!
As someone who spends a LOT of hours in a CTL, I can definitely say the hydraulic Q/C is absolutely worth the money!!! I swap between hydraulic attachments a lot, and its still one less thing I have to do when I get out of the cab into the heat or cold, not to mention moving attachments or loading them on the trailer, I like to latch them on if I am backing up the ramps, never can be too safe! If you're running non-hydraulic attachments then you'll be set, I'll personally never own a machine again that doesn't have a powered Q/C. The one on the Cat's is pretty quick, beats forcing them in and out by hand! The new Cat loaders have a 3/8 drive square cut into the levers, so should one get stuck you can stick a breaker bar in there and free it up rather easily. If you have a attachment that causes the loader arms to be raised higher so that the door won't open with the loader arms all the way down, you can unlatch the attachment to get in and out of the cab, without having to find a curb or log to drive on to be able to lower it far enough to get in and out, been there done that :Banghead :badidea Its worth it for the resale too. They weather proof all the electrical components really well, the mud/dirt/snow isn't that big of an issue. How is dealer availability for your area? I would take a good look at the Takeuchi TL10 or TL12, and the Cat 299D or 289D. But, if you're a farmer I'm guessing Case/Deere/New Holland are the machines on your radar...
I just bought a new holland c227. We have about 400 hrs on it now.....it has a 24.2 gals instead on 17 as standard. I did get high flow on it too ...but never use it...I had a kubota svl75 before and at 17.2 was too low for mower and high flow was not avail so I bought 227. New holland and case have awesome farm programs on too....in alberta we can right off all the tax. I went way off topic...... RIDE CONTROL is number 1 Q/C is very important Nice cab with air seat and ac Self levelling is really nice on farm for feeding big bales. Counter weights
Thank you everyone for your input. As far as the one that mentioned the tax aspect....I haven't checked with my accountant yet but I'm pretty sure you can still right it all off the first year. But we are getting off topic lol...
The TL10 is one of them on my short list. I tried the Cat but found the hand controls too tight against the seat. I felt squished.