https://kansascity.craigslist.org/hvo/d/case-580k-backhoe-extended/6380433331.html
2 wheel drive, no 4 in 1 front bucket, no other buckets, and over 6k on clock. I would keep looking unless that stuff doesn't bother you. IMO, you asked
You could do a lot worse. Maybe a little better? I saw a K go for under 10 here not too long ago, maybe lower hours, but way more rust, and no extendahoe. If everything is tight and dry, then you're looking at just some hoses along the way if you're lucky. Seals all around too eventually. And anything else could go wrong at any point.
Not all new hoses but new tires and didn't bother to recover or replace the seat? Unless it was washed really good don't see any grease around any pins. Might want to check how sloppy it is. What's with the hose sticking out on the hoe?
Offer $10,000 and look for oil leaks behind the driver side back wheel where the frame tends to crack and leak hydraulic oil or under the center of the machine where you have to pull the engine to repair the frame where they tend to get a crack. This may not be a prevalent on 2wd as 4wd that I'm familiar with.
to much money check it good and low ball him
Looks like the extra pin hole on the bucket link is broken off? Wouldn't be a problem if you never change to a different bucket that you need more curl for. Machine looks a little rough for the $ to me. I think I'd hold out for 4x4.
Not 1 mention of the engine or picture?? That's strange?? IF your SERIOUS about looking at it or driving it.. DO IT COLD.. TELL HIM NOT TO START IT before you get there.. THAT will tell you ALOT about it.. both the engine AND transmission.. ALOT of folks will have one "warmed-up" [hot] and the tranny working before you get there.. They are prone to no start conditions & trannys not engaging/working until warmed up.. 5-10 minutes.. IF its warm when you get there, AFTER TELLING him to NOT start it.. WALK AWAY.. That's a 10k hoe all day long.. 15k is steep for a 2x.. IMO
Thanks guys. This is strictly a farm hoe for personal use, no commercial work intended. Will run it 100hrs per year max. I'll go look at it next week and report my findings. Looking for exactly the responses I got. Other than the possible frame cracks you guys brought up all the issues I questioned. It's a wobble stick, which I like, is the swing on the left stick? I really don't like foot swing. Thanks again.
Yes it is on the left and to really stop and think , left is dipper and swing.
So foot controls would be "aux" functions such as extendahoe, etc.?
Golf course near me is selling one of their hoes. Good comparison.
Yep. The Case appears to have been used hard. Also appears to have sat outside. Around here CAT prices are high. I'm trying to stay at or under $15K. Certainly don't expect an excellent condition hoe for that amount. Just trying to educate myself in regards to all brands/models of older hoes. Thanks for the info!!!
One thing I like about my old 480c; parts so far have been very reasonable, I would assume they would be for that hoe also. I have used 4 cylinder seal kits so far, all bought from ebay, none over $30 each. Tie rod ends were $9.00 each. Steering cylnder kit was $8 off ebay also. That did not fix my leak, so I am going to try again, but if I can't get it, a complete steering cylinder is $70 on ebay.
Considering the money range that I'm wanting to spend, I expect repairs. So it's critical that I buy a machine with good parts support. You have proven that's available with a Case.
Just to give you a ball park, here's a couple that have sold recently in a similar price range to what your looking for. https://www.purplewave.com/auction/171228/item/DD1434 https://www.purplewave.com/auction/171228/item/DI9925 https://www.purplewave.com/auction/171214/item/DA7009 https://www.purplewave.com/auction/171205/item/DA1358
Pumpguy is right. That's a 10K hoe. It would need 4wd to be worth 15 and half the hours and 4wd to be worth more. It doesn't look bad for a homeowner machine that won't see a lot of action if it doesn't have any serious issues. Check the upper loader arm welds as well as the others mentioned earlier. That's a newer K [series 3?] that has the more involved and expensive brake job [price one] than the earlier K's so might want to check them out, too. Check that the clutch cut outs are working [mine has one on the shifter, bucket control, and brakes] and how it shifts. Cummins motor? Should start right up and run good. Good luck.
Thanks Grady. I'm beginning to think this hoe is overpriced. If I study the pics carefully I see a hard life. Thanks for the reply!!!
I've seen and bought machines that looked worse - but not for that money. You never know, it's CL so try xgiovannix's advice and make an offer if you're really interested. Leave some room for a counter-offer. Maybe he's just starting high. Is he the owner or a salesman?
I'm guessing a salesman. Thanks Grady!!!