Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking to buy D8T

ippielb ยท 2014-10-09 23:18

My employer is selling the two old D8T's that we have replaced, they were government owned since new, regular maintenance. Both units have new motor's and transmissions less then 5000 hours ago. Their job was to push garbage at the the landfill, so not really a tough life. Curious on what people think these things will go for. I have a couple videos of the one unit. http://youtu.be/VD2RZrFkodI?t=2m18s http://youtu.be/05t4N8_u2ds?t=6m27s Here's some pictures. Unit #1 (motor and transmission redone in last 5000 hours) Unit #2 (low hour undercairrage motor and transmission redone in last 5000 hours) http://mcdougallbay.com/images/repo...8CB-8CDA-DE4B81F26020}/2014/th_lot636 (5).JPG http://mcdougallbay.com/images/repo...8CB-8CDA-DE4B81F26020}/2014/th_lot636 (4).JPG http://mcdougallbay.com/images/repo...CB-8CDA-DE4B81F26020}/2014/th_lot636 (18).JPG http://mcdougallbay.com/images/repository/{77C9E9D7-2F27-48CB-8CDA-DE4B81F26020}/2014/small001.JPG

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies30
  1. #1MJHeavy2014-10-10 08:02

    PM me. Im interested.

  2. #2ippielb2014-10-10 08:22

    Haha get in line. I'm in the same boat as you, I want to buy one myself. I'm curious to know what they would go for. I have operated one of the dozers before. It's tight all around, new heater core. Webasto heater, new undercarriage, motor and transmission, cutting edges are fairly new. The other one was just at the landfill it's entire lifetime. Don't know much about it but I know the guys who've operated it.

  3. #3old-iron-habit2014-10-10 08:28

    One thing about an auction. The value it has on that day will come out. Since internet bidding it is a lot harder to find a sweet bargain on a auction.

  4. #4ippielb2014-10-10 09:09

    Yes that is the problem. That's why I'm looking at the going price. Probably more then I'm wanting to spend but hey worth a try not many d8's around my area could make a quick buck doing jobs around.

  5. #5MJHeavy2014-10-10 10:34

    What landfill did they come out of? Who did the repairs?

  6. #6John C.2014-10-11 14:17

    A little odd not having rippers. Down here the waste handlers have striker bars and multi-shank rippers. Most places I have seen also swap out the trash pads. I'm also wondering why they weren't taken as trade in units. In this state there would be a substantial tax advantage. It would be tough to guess what they would go for in Canada. An auction probably isn't the place where you would get the best return on the sale but on the same thought a government agency usually isn't concerned about making a good deal for the tax payer.

  7. #7big ben2014-10-11 16:09

    Why would a trash machine ever need a ripper ? Do some use them to prep the ground as the dump expands ? I have never seen a garbage machine with a ripper up here and if they do come with them they are removed and sold as a new take off before the machine ever hits the landfill and a counterweight added to rebalance the machine.

  8. #8MJHeavy2014-10-11 17:15

    A ripper makes it a lot easier to jack up a machine for undercarriage work

  9. #9ippielb2014-10-11 22:25

    Came out of the landfill for the city. Kramer the local Cat dealer did the repairs. The only thing our mechanics do is little things, everything else gets sent off always. Rippers aren't needed in our landfill. We have traded in almost all our other equipment, went and purchased new ones in the fall of last year, these have sat, Unit #1 since the December, and Unit #2 since April. Yes, they aren't really concerned about getting their money back, the bid is already past what my division has paid for them. We used unit #2 to push snow during the winter time. The year before we rented one that had a ripper on it, and it was a pain to use, way too heavy in the back it would just dig itself down.

  10. #10MJHeavy2014-10-13 19:16

    Should have rented a LGP for the snow.

  11. #11ippielb2014-10-13 21:41

    Not many d8's in my area, they took what they could get. That was the only available one. We had to hire 4 d8's with operators 2 years ago because there was no rentals available.

  12. #12old-iron-habit2014-10-13 23:48

    I am at a loss trying to figure out how a LGP would be an advantage for snowplowing unless you are plowing snow off soft ground. Sounds like the snowplowing takes place on the garbage pile, same stuff they always run on. Just curious what the theory is behind it.

  13. #13ippielb2014-10-14 00:14

    This was at our snow dump, its where all the snow goes in winter removed from the city. If you've every pushed snow that came through a snow blower you'd realize that having wider tracks would help for floatation. Last year we had not much for snowfall and the ramps were reaching 90 feet of snow.

  14. #14MJHeavy2014-10-14 08:51

    Im at a loss trying to figure out if you know what LGP stands for. The theory behind it is for more floatation. Same exact concept behind using a LGP in a landfill.

  15. #15John C.2014-10-14 11:37

    The issue with rippers is that construction and mining people want them. Since yours doesn't have them, you limit the number of markets that would pay more. Not many people down here would want a crawler of that size without the ripper. Down here all the land fills have to cover with soil every night. They do that by making a borrow pit next to the land fill. Most use scrapers and the D8 or D9s will rip for easier loading of the scrapers. The two big counties I work around down here always load their machines up with every option you can imagine.

  16. #16ippielb2014-10-18 02:06

    These are set up for rippers and have the plumbing. Just need to put one on it. There's a few outfits here that make rippers for cats. Personally all I would want is one large shank maybe to put in some tile to drain sloughs in fields as well.

  17. #17oregon96pd2014-10-18 14:42

    Am I seeing things or is there only one bolt holdong a sprocket segment on on unit #1, and a bolt halfway out on the next segment up?

  18. #18Nige2014-10-18 15:25

    you're not wrong.............

  19. #19big ben2014-10-18 15:49

    Well the segments look like they are just about done so I guess they are just helping the new owner by have less bolts to deal with to change them out ! Unless they have been welded together thats impressive that the 1 segment only has 1 bolt left !

  20. #20oregon96pd2014-10-18 20:08

    This is exactly what i thought when i saw it.

  21. #21Garrie Denny2014-10-19 03:59

    I for 1 are going for MJHeavy: I have very little operational or ownership of Larger Dozers,But through this excellent Forum have come to learn that LP,means LOW-PRESSURE, and I assume that means the machines weight is lessened on the ground by increased load application.

  22. #22Garrie Denny2014-10-19 04:06

    Will refresh that before old mate Nige Start barking. I Meant Low Ground Pressure

  23. #23JDOFMEMI2014-10-19 18:34

    I just decided to look, and not only are the bolts missing, it sure looks like some extra holes have been drilled. I suspect this has been a problem for a while, and new holes were drilled to try to keep it together until it gets sold. My experience is that once the bolts come loose a few times, it is hard to ever keep them tight on anything D-8 and above. The fix is to buy a new final housing, or tear that one down and have a machine shop drill new holes in between. It is also very important that segment bolts get tightened properly, and I refuse to reuse segment bolts. Once they have stretched I think they loose some holding ability when they get stretched a second time.

  24. #24Nige2014-10-19 19:01

    Absolutely Jerry. Those sprocket segment bolts are "torque-turn" to get the correct stretch on them and by definition torque turn bolts have one life only. When you pull them off you toss them and fit new.

  25. #25ippielb2014-10-20 00:39

    Exactly my thought as well for bolts, just like head bolts, they are a one time use deal. I did not do any of the work on these machines, i personally have not even touched the unit with the undercarriage needing work. That one has never left the landfill. There was 2 extra holes drilled in there by the looks of it on all the segments. From what i have heard, they were going to replace the entire undercarriage on this unit as well, like the other, but then they bought two brand new d8t's instead. These were parked for months before put up for auction. I go to the bank tomorrow to talk about cash for Unit #2.

  26. #26MJHeavy2014-10-20 08:16

    The extra holes are for the updated segments. The KPZ prefix D8T's came with the extra holes in the final drive housing.

  27. #27JDOFMEMI2014-10-21 19:33

    I wonder why the went with extra holes, instead of maybe using the threaded backing plate that spans from one segment to the next like the D-9L I have uses? That seems to fix the issue, and strengthen the whole set up. I am not sure if the newer D-10's have them or not.

  28. #28Nige2014-10-21 19:40

    No, but they have a much thicker rim flange where the segments bolt on to. That means longer bolts, more stretch, and therefore (hopefully) they stay tight. I've seen one case of bolts coming loose on a 10T at our property, but that was just some ******* mechanic who couldn't read the torque table for the RAD wrench correctly.

  29. #29ippielb2014-10-21 19:45

    Auction ends tomorrow, bid it up to 80,000, wish me luck that it doesn't go too high. Went to the bank on Monday, hopefully tomorrow works out.

  30. #30ippielb2014-10-22 20:02

    Sold for $101,100 and $97,500. Not to me.