Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking to buy Ford 55E backhoe what do ya think?

ovrszd ยท 2017-12-30 18:55

Here's another one. Obviously I'm not brand conscious. Thanks to all for the replies. https://madison.craigslist.org/hvo/d/ford-new-holland-555e-tractor/6439042777.html

Replies27
  1. #1Billrog2017-12-30 21:58

    Looks like a sound machine Richard one you'd never wear out around the farm but he is asking top $ .

  2. #2ovrszd2017-12-30 22:17

    Thanks Bill. Only reason I thought it might be a good buy was the very low hours. Maybe it's never been used commercially??? It's a 1999 model or older. How could it only have that many hours unless maybe it was just for private use like I would do with it?? From what I can tell by the pics I'm guessing the hours are accurate? Most of my use will be during good weather, dry conditions, in timber. I think I'd prefer open station. I have three tractors and none have cabs. Thanks for any/all opinions.

  3. #3Hobbytime2017-12-30 22:31

    many times the hour meter are disconnected or broken, if someone knows they are going to sell it, they will disconnect the hour meter, but if the unit is in good condition and items in the cab are not worn such as seats and grips, then you can get an idea if it was used more than what the hour meter says, after you look at a few different units you can tell about how many hours bye the wear of parts on the machine..best bet is use it for a few hours and make sure it runs good and doesnt develop any issues after operating then make an offer..worse they can say is no..

  4. #4ovrszd2017-12-31 09:33

    Digging into the pictures it appears the hours are correct. Very little paint wear on the steps and/or floorboard. Seat has no sign of wear. Front bucket is in perfect condition. Only imperfection in appearance that I can see is the grill is missing. I'll call the guy Tuesday and discuss it. Looks like a machinery trader has it by the background equipment in the pictures. I'll try to get more pictures and/or an operational video. Biggest issue is it's 6 hours away. Can't just cruise over to the lot and do a walk around. Thanks for the comments.

  5. #5Grady2018-01-01 06:26

    I'm a Case fan but that's a good looking machine. You could probably fabricate some kind of grille if you had to because that might be a dealer only kind of part that could cost plenty if they're still available. Might be able to find a used one. You need something in front of that radiator if you're using it in the woods. It wouldn't hurt to put some hardware cloth behind whatever grille you end up with to keep sticks from poking through when pushing brush, etc. It only takes one to **** up a good day - and a good radiator.

  6. #6ovrszd2018-01-01 09:22

    One thing I like about Ford/New Holland is parts availability. The grill is available and is $197. I would probably build a grill insert that will protect the radiator. Delmar on here has volunteered to go take a look at it as soon as the weather warms up. I'd sure like to have someone look at it before I drive 6 hours one way. I thank him for his offer and assistance. I think it's priced on the high end. But if the hours are accurate and it is what it appears to be, I think it's worth the money. It certainly hasn't done any heavy front bucket work by the looks of the bucket and the rear tires. And as I mentioned earlier, it hasn't been a commercial machine or it would have many more hours. We'll see I guess. I'll report any and all findings.

  7. #7Grady2018-01-01 10:05

    Parts availability is one of the biggest considerations. A local dealer would be very nice. If you use it - you'll break it or wear something out. Try and get the delivery included if you're paying top dollar.

  8. #8ovrszd2018-01-01 12:24

    50 miles from me is a NH dealer. In the same town is the Midwest CNH warehouse. If the grill, for example, is available, it will be on the shelf in that warehouse, pick it up at 3 p.m. same day of order. I doubt I'm going to convince the seller to deliver because of my distance from him. Got a family friend that is a long hauler. One of his trucks pulls a drop deck. He said it goes into that area frequently. If I'm not in a hurry he'll haul it to me for $400. It's just under 400 miles from me. Pretty cheap haul. That makes Delmer's offer to look at it even more valuable.

  9. #9JD88752018-01-01 19:12

    I have a 99 New Holland 555E 2 wd open rops and ehoe with 2000 hours now. Good solid machine. My only complaint has been the fuel system and the battery terminals. My hoe set on a tow lot for two years before I bought it and picked up enough condensation to grow bacteria in the fuel tank. It was and still is prone to plugging up the banjo bolt coming into the settling bowl. I added an inline filter about 8inches before the settling bowl to catch the crap and solved that. I also had to cut the battery cables off at the terminal and install new terminals because the cables picked up corrosion and resistance to the point it wouldn't start. Good news is they have plenty of cable so I just cut four inches off to get to good clean wire and installed new brass terminals. My 555 is easy on fuel, runs good, a little cold blooded but pretty stable. Just wish it was 4wd. I gave $10,000 for mine when the previous owner defaulted on his tow bill after loosing it from a step deck the day he bought it. That one even has the engine side covers on it. Most 555Es I have seen are missing the side covers for some reason, and the ebrake caliper. Good luck John

  10. #10JD88752018-01-01 19:19

    Here it is when I brought it home. Expect the fenders to turn pink. John

  11. #11Grady2018-01-01 22:39

    Maybe he will and maybe he won't but if I was paying that asking price, I'd try for the grille and the delivery.

  12. #12Tinkerer2018-01-02 08:35

    Maybe get some insurance on it as soon as you pay for it. I would be real nervous letting it sit there very long.

  13. #13ovrszd2018-01-02 14:39

    Thanks for the added comments. From JD8875's comments, sounds like this machine is priced too high. It sounds very comparable. I've experienced algae in a fuel tank on a large 4wd farm tractor. It isn't pleasant. Yeah, I think I'll try to negotiate a much lower price, or delivery. Doubt he'll be interested in delivery because of the distance. I also agree about the insurance. I don't like the idea of leaving it sitting on the lot for more than a few days. If it was an individual I wouldn't worry so much. I'll try to get more information today. Thanks guys!!!

  14. #14MJE2018-01-03 19:54

    If it helps, for comparison...a month ago I bought a 1999 555E, 4x4, 2058 hours, 4 in 1 bucket for $12k. It sat in a farmers barn most of its life and I have been replacing seals in cylinders otherwise appears in good shape.

  15. #15Delmer2018-01-03 23:29

    $10,000 for a 99 with 2,000 hours is not a typical price IMHO. You might find a similar deal, or you might look for decades and not match that price on a similar machine. Looking at auction results will give a good survey of what things are selling for. I'd be surprised to see anything sell at auction for that little.

  16. #16Welder Dave2018-01-03 23:41

    I didn't think the $13K asking price was overly high. A new one is over $100K isn't it?

  17. #17JD88752018-01-03 23:45

    My machine was not a typical deal. I have a friend who owns a tow company. Story is guy bought the hoe at an equipment auction about 60 miles from here. He loaded it on a step deck with the boom locked up and started for Iowa. About 30 miles from the start of his trip he went under an overpass and hooked the top of the boom/stick on an overpass. He quickly unloaded the hoe in the middle of the highway and it went skidding off the roadway into the median. My buddy's tow service recovered the hoe from the roadway and took it to their tow lot. The owner/operator truck driver had no insurance, no valid DOT number, and a whole host of other issues. The hoe suffered minor damage in the form of a broken boom lock a few broken hoses, and the bolt that holds the gland on the boom cylinder rod stretched apart. When the driver/truck owner didn't pay the tow bill my buddy put the hoe back together and I happened to be in the right place at the right time when he said he wanted to sell it to recover his costs. Rumor is the hoe sold for $16k at the auction before the moron lost his load and his ***. I certainly wouldn't sell it now for $10k. I'd be asking $13-15. Hope that helps fill in the blanks on the bargain. John

  18. #18Delmer2018-01-03 23:50

    yeah, you said it fell off a truck, more or less I don't think the farmers barn find one would go for that at an auction either. A Cat, Deere or Case would be $30K, I can't see how Fords would be that much cheaper, or am I way off?

  19. #19JD88752018-01-04 00:04

    There's a pretty similar New Holland 555E for sale on CL near Tulsa. It's got a lot more hours on it but cab and 4wd... They want 29k for it. I was ecstatic to get mine for 10k. The first sewer job it did it was paid for. John

  20. #20ovrszd2018-01-04 09:53

    I've spent the last week searching. If this hoe hours are accurate, and it's in very good condition, it's worth the price. I would assume there's a little wiggle room in the negotiation so maybe it could be bought for $12,500. I haven't called about it yet. Hoping weather conditions improve and Delmer can get a chance to go look at it. Whenever he thinks he can swing that I'll call for location and details. Thanks everyone for the contributions. Thanks to Delmer for offering to look at the machine!!!

  21. #21Billrog2018-01-04 11:32

    I think for the hrs. and by the looks of it the price may be high for the year of the machine but not as far as the hrs. on it go. $12,000 isn't a lot for a good piece of equipment.

  22. #22El Hombre2018-01-04 12:32

    Everybody wants 50% more when they sell, and same % off when they buy.... That looks like a nice machine; if after you look at it, it's still nice, offer him $12K. Bet he takes it. Ford's are great. I've had my 5550 for 29 years. And it was only 15 years old when I bought it. Parts are much less costly than the other makes, especially JD. But I doubt you'll be buying many, the Fords are tough. We have an active Ford dealer here, so mostly what you see are Ford. If it's some big outfit like PGE, they put out a bid and Case usually won it. Made it up on parts and all the former PGE operators were familiar with Case and bought one when they went independent. Ford was always a little more new, but then you saved on parts and not needing a lot of repairs. Another thing I've noticed is Ford used an automotive/truck way of building, instead of a farm tractor basis. Like JD. So you get all kinds of weird things on a JD, because it was how they did the tractors. If you were a 'farmer', you had experience with the weirdness and it was no big deal. I wasn't a 'farmer' so the Ford way made waaayyyy more sense. Us Ford owners aren't the loudmouths like the JD, Case, and Cat peeps. We know the machines are as good as anything out there and just quietly go about our work....

  23. #23ovrszd2018-01-04 14:41

    I agree Bill. I could sleep with this purchase.

  24. #24ovrszd2018-01-04 14:45

    Yeah I definitely wouldn't offer $12K unless I meant it. I'm not a call and bicker kind of guy. When I call I'll have my list of questions that need answered. Maybe request more pics if I can't get eyes on it. Then I'll make my offer. Thanks for your reply.

  25. #25ovrszd2018-01-05 13:43

    This hoe sold. He got his asking price with no argument. The search continues.

  26. #26Delmer2018-01-05 14:42

    huh, so I'm off the hook for looking at it then? I was a little suspicious at that price, too high to be a Nigerian scammer (plus no palm trees in the pic?), but JUST RIGHT to be a bait and switch. Obviously a dealer of some sort from the pics, I say bait and switch until proven otherwise. edit: maybe not? I see the add is deleted, maybe I was confusing this with the other add that was up two months.

  27. #27ovrszd2018-01-05 18:39

    Delmer, I don't know. These deals get very confusing to me. I've got sellers not answering any type of communication. At least this guy talked to me. Sounds like it was legit and he sold it. Yep, you are off the hook. I don't say that lightly. I very much appreciate your offer. If there's anything I can ever do for you in the Missouri area be sure to let me know. I'm on the scent of an older Ford 555A now. Gonna go look at it Monday. Stand by for an update. Thanks again for your offer of assistance Delmer!!!!