Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking to buy this 1992 Ford 7740 AWD/Calibration issue

Peter23 ยท 2016-03-18 22:07

I am interested in purchasing this tractor please see link below. http://www.kijiji.ca/v-heavy-equipm...wd/1148786873?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true The tractor is showing a code error now here is what he emailed me regards the error code: ''It is apparently a calibration issue with the transmission. According to ford it is most likely a wire or contact somewhere. I never did look into it closely. The unit with the blade is worth $18000 to 23000. So the $12000 is a steal deal already regardless a code. Try to get a tractor with 4 wheel assist and cab with AC! That alone cost you at least $12 000 The blade is $4500 if you get lucky. $10000 cash is lowest i go. There no issues in operation exept for the cluch beeing a little touchy. I think thats the error code related to.'' This will be my first tractor and i dont know much about these machines any help? Should I walk away or is it worth taking a look at it?

Replies3
  1. #1mitch5042016-03-18 23:07

    Is this a 7740S, 7740SL, or 7740SLE? What you're describing could really only be true on an SLE with that "Pulse Command" transmission. If that's what it is, be careful. That "touchy clutch" could just be a calibration issue, or a $10,000 repair bill. If it's an S, or an SL, and actually has a clutch, which the SLE doesn't, the transmission is pretty bulletproof. $10,000 US would be real cheap for that tractor around here, I don't know what it would be in Canada.

  2. #2Peter232016-03-18 23:30

    Hey Mitch it is a 7740SLE. Thanks for the info.

  3. #3hookedondiesel2016-03-20 05:55

    At 10 G's, that does sound like its too good to be true, do your research.