Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking to buy used Backhoe

Charlie M ยท 2009-04-25 23:14

Looking at a few Case 580 SM backhoes. What is a good price for one in the 2001 to 2003 with between 2000 and 2500 hours. 4X4 cab with A/C and extendahoe.

Replies38
  1. #1cgraham12009-04-26 01:36

    Try http://www.machinerytrader.com . Just go to the Loader Backhoe section and look for the backhoe you want.

  2. #2amunderdog2009-04-26 06:29

    Also you should research changes and problems for particular phases of model. The first M's had some problems. then after some changes i think they pretty much got all the bugs worked out. And never buy an L model. They where the change over model from the old direct control to the newer electric over hydraulic. It is going to be around 50,000 for a nice M model.

  3. #3Duke2009-04-26 10:25

    I just sold my '05 Super M 4x4 cab ex hoe, pilot controls with 1300 hrs for $51,500. No way you'll pay more than $40 in today's market. I would say you're looking at much less. Probably $30K on the low side and $38K on the higher side. Depends on condition and the area you live. "never buy a L model" is the opposite of what I've heard. I hear 580 L's were some of the best backhoes ever built. Only problem I saw with them is the door frames rust.

  4. #4amunderdog2009-04-26 16:48

    They where talking about the Phase III 580K You just chose to hear 580L I have not found equipment prices dropping yet:beatsme But i have noticed a lot more equipment available.

  5. #5Duke2009-04-26 20:36

    Huh?

  6. #6willie592009-04-26 21:04

    Hey Duke, after reading this thread, I have to agree with you; Huh?

  7. #7mudmaker2009-04-26 21:12

    Apparently you have not been keeping up with equipment prices over the last year or two. Now is the time to get some great deals.

  8. #8amunderdog2009-04-26 22:02

    Thanks for the smiles guys. I think it is my level. The bottom is still where it ever was. Maybe on the big time equipment there has been some movement. Ag Auctions are showing record auction prices. The equipment under 20k, is still believed by sellers to be holding its value. I do like the shifter and loader control location on the L better. But i will stick with the no nonsense, no electronics of the K. Maybe if i was rich and could just take my equipment to the shop when it messes up, one of the space age machines would be nice. Guess i missed one point. The old hoes went by Phases. Looks like the new ones go by Series. The M is on its third Series. I think it was not until the middle of the second Series, they got all the bugs worked out.

  9. #9cgraham12009-04-27 11:00

    He's looking for a 2001-2003, I'd say it should be more like $30-35,000. From what I've seen, prices have dropped a lot, at least around here.

  10. #10Charlie M2009-04-27 22:22

    Found one and bought it today. 2003 580 SM with 2300 hours. Gave 27,500 for it so I guess I got a fair deal.

  11. #11amunderdog2009-04-27 23:10

    Glad to hear it worked out for you. When will we see the pictures?

  12. #12Duke2009-04-28 08:54

    EROPS or ROPS? If it's EROPS, you got a great deal. Nice little deuce in your avitar, BTW. :usa I used to go bowhunting in Felton, DE

  13. #13cgraham12009-04-28 10:33

    :scool Sounds like you got a great deal!

  14. #14mudmaker2009-04-28 10:50

    That sure sounds like a great deal! It is definitely a buyers market right now. Wish I could take advantage of some of the deals I have stumbled onto.

  15. #15Charlie M2009-04-28 22:09

    EROPS with A/C Thats a 5 ton in the avitar.

  16. #16mudmaker2009-04-28 23:34

    Looks like a nice machine.

  17. #17stumpjumper832009-04-28 23:47

    looks like a deal to me.

  18. #18ghitch752009-04-29 08:13

    good lookin' case......

  19. #19Duke2009-04-29 21:16

    580 is a good machine. I liked mine. I actually liked it b/c it was small. I sold it after 2+ years with the following impressions: Good: Tough as a tank, compact, very nice ergonomics. Pilot B/H controls were to die for. Locking rear button on loader stick was lights-out. Cab was sealed up nice HVAC was good, nice visibilty. Bad: Abysmal paint job-I swear they put paint over top of surface rust. Cold start solenoid took a dump. Fan belt shredded & took out idler pulley to the tune of $600. Cab leaked (but was fixed) and began to rust cab door, steering was very squirrely over the road. Chinese made 900lb front counterweight. Never could get used to the backhoe locking mechanism practically hitting you in the face. I would also say this backhoe is limited in the mud. I originally wanted a 580 M "plus" which has bigger front tires and a front locker, but I couldn't find one. The small front tires can get burried rather quickly. I also didn't like the fact that most Case hoes lack "features". Rare to find 4/1 bucket, aux hyd, couplers, etc. I know that sounds like a lot of negatives, but that's the way I am. i'd still give my 580 a B to B+, but the older I get the more disgusted I get that these machines have defects even though we pay huge sums of money for them. Now I'm on to a NH LB115, which is a beast. I'm apprehensive about taking an older, bigger machine, but my long term plan includes a mini-ex for the small work. I hope this is a decent machine that helps me forget my CASE, but I'm not holding my breath.....

  20. #20Duke2009-04-29 21:18

    Can you throw up a few pics of the 5 tonner? I always loved 'em. Wondered if it was possible to tame one enough to make it a decent OTR truck. I'm too old to survive the beating the one I drove years back.

  21. #21Charlie M2009-04-29 21:51

    I have it turned way up. Power is somewhat fine (not really), but only a top speed of 58 mph.

  22. #22Charlie M2009-04-29 21:57

    Loaded

  23. #23airr2009-05-02 10:27

    I am sure that is a good buy. My neibor got one in PA and same model.

  24. #24Duke2009-05-02 21:35

    Thanks. How does it pull your excavator? I know Felton is about as flat as Kansas, but does it pull well? Never thought of the deuces & 5 tonners as real good pullers.

  25. #25Charlie M2009-05-02 22:56

    Brakes are good, and the motor is turned way up so it pulls fine. I am thinking of updating it with a more modern engine. The 5 ton is like a typical 10 wheeler unlike the duce. I also put a nice air ride seat in the truck, and sound deadened the cab.

  26. #26Duke2009-05-03 11:56

    Is it the 5 speed manual? Direct 1 to 1 in 5th gear? Everyone I talked to didn't like pulling a load with them. I like your's. :cool2

  27. #27mudmaker2009-05-08 10:49

    :beatsme I guess I am missing something here!????????????????????????????????????:beatsme

  28. #28raymond2009-05-08 11:00

    I guess I am missing something here!???????????????????????????????????? ???????????

  29. #29willie592009-05-08 19:39

    I think mudmaker asked you that first.

  30. #30special tool2009-05-09 07:45

    He's soliticing, guys. He did the same thing in this thread:

  31. #31mudmaker2009-05-09 16:29

    I figured that. I just wanted him to say more than just put a link that doesnt work on the page!

  32. #32digger242j2009-05-11 15:38

    raymond is now missing, in action... :ban We don't tolerate spamming the forums. :nono

  33. #33willie592009-05-11 20:52

    Awww, that's too bad! He had so little to say! :crying :lmao

  34. #34Charlie M2009-05-13 21:49

    That truck has a direct 5th gear. I just bought 2 more today, one duce with a winch, and a 818 tracor with the cummins. The 818 only has 4000 miles and 144 hours. I runs just like new. Really puts the older truck to shame, I pulled the duce with the trailer at 58 mph.

  35. #35Duke2009-05-15 11:28

    Who's your connection for buying them? Are you flipping them or using all you buy for your business. Great looking trucks!

  36. #36Charlie M2009-05-15 12:39

    I bought the tractor to keep but I am going to flip the deuce. The guy I bought them from has a few more deuces and cummins powered tractors.

  37. #37Duke2009-05-15 18:59

    Any idea of the cost of one of those tractors and the additional cost to modify it for contractor useage (if any)? Do the tractors have a long enough frame/heavy built enough to become a tandem dump?

  38. #38Charlie M2009-05-15 22:56

    The 818 would not require much of anything to convert for contractor use up to about 50,000 lbs truck and weight. You could get a 14 foot body on it. It is only single frame (double frame at the rear). But now if you bought a bridge truck, it is double framed and could carry up to legal law and it has enough room for a lift axle or even a 3rd drive axle if you had too much time on your hand. The bridge trucks are rated for way more weight. I think eastern surplus ask for Dave Newman (6101 tacony Street, Phila PA 19135) has bridge trucks and also dump trucks.