I have a bobcat s205 with the joystick control right now. It has been a good loader, but looking to get a new skid steer. I am considering a new bobcat with the joystick, or a cat 242b3. I know the bobcat equipment pretty good, but have had my share of problems with the SJC, is there anything good/bad about the cat that I should be aware of? Before everybody jumps in an suggests a Tak, I tried one (new) and my bobcat would wear it out digging and I hate the controls on the tak, I am grading right alongside swimming pools and with the Tak I would end up running through the pool because it is so jumpy. Personally I wouldn't have one, but everybody on here seems to like them. I am only considering skidsteers with the Joystick because it is much easier to operate for long hrs at a time. I am open to any suggestions about other brands other than the Tak.
Call your Cat dealer and ask them about Power by the Hour. Cheap way to get into a new machine.
I have never heard anyone say that a Takeuchi would not keep up with a BC in an excavating excercise. The control system on the Tk is very resposive. Coming from a BC with SJC you have become used to the delay in the controls. Spending one day in a machine with a more reponsive control system you would likely be look like a rookie, spend more time with it and your skills adapt to the more responsive machine. No doubt the pilot controlled CAT will feel much the same way to you. That said the TK lags behind in cab comfort. A big cab in my opinion does not mean better. The machine also is loud in the cab and rattles something fierce. As far as other machines to try, I would try everyone's machine to whom you have support for. Sometimes when demoing machines its easy to confuse what is familiar with comfort.
I would second this sentiment....give a few different machines an honest look, not just a 5 minute "demo" It takes a while to acclimate to the different querks of each brand. Also, dealer support should hopefully be high on your list. That, in itself, can sometimes make a hard decision an easy one. Good luck.
I have an 09 cat 246c and i really like it. I dont like the controls as much because of the lag, and actually i like the tak controls better! Our machine is very comfortable and has pretty good sight lines, except out the back window isnt the greatest. I have really nothing bad to say about them other than the lag in the controls. I might be wrong but the 242 b3 hasnt had any major updates in quite some time. I guess if it was me i would want something that was as up to date as possible. Although thats not always the best either! I am a Cat fan so i might be a little biased but thats what i would get!!!
The C series went from pilots to E/H and CAT has continually been updating their E/H system to try and refine it. It seems most CAT operators prefer the pilots over the E/H. There is a lag in E/H that every OEM seems to have, must be the nature of the business at this point with that technology. The B3 will have pilots, but it will be more sensitive than the BC he is used to.
I think you are correct, i have a 2005 246B that is a little more respossive. I guess they have some kind of computer upgrade that tunes the controls a little finer and allows them to be a bit more responsive. That is a tough choice....... i like the S205 also and almost bought one.
Have you treid an asv yet, Kind of curiose myself?
I have had several of the Track Loader (Cat, Bobcat, Case, etc). I now buy Takeuchi. I have a 120,230, and a 140. Planetary drive systems beats the travel pump system any day of the week.
What does the Takeuchi run for a motor? What are the pro's and cons of the Takeuchi if ya don't mind me asking?