Looking at purchasing this truck anyone have one? Any negatives, I own a 1989' RD690 that I wrote about purchasing it in 2006 on HEF,so I know all about the comfort and power issues. Current owners description: 2001 RD688S Tri-Axle Dump truck. 203,000 miles. Mack 350; Fuller 8LL trans; 44,000 rears; 20,000 front; 20,000 tag; 11:00 X 24.5 tires; Air & Pintle; Jake; Load cover; 17' Ox body w/ barn door tailgate; Registered and inspected I am also looking to install a dump bed on the 1989' 16' x 40". I want to keep this truck for easy skid steer loading. This truck has been a good truck. Any one have a used dump body 16 x 40-42" they want to sell? How hard is this to install with out killing myself?
Nice to see your still in the game Jmac. Local company had several at one point, tri-axle dumps and lube trucks. All of the dumps have been retired and replaced with W900B's, but most of the lube trucks are still kicking around. I was told driver comfort(preference) was a major consideration in the switch. A couple of the Lube trucks have moved to another company that runs mostly Mack and are still running strong. Here i would want 46K axles so i can stay within axle ratings with tag up, but it's not a huge deal. If it is a Stampede or what ever the OX eliptical bodies are, they are indestructable. The Mack guy has the hi-lift model on his granites and they get abused. Aside from needing some blasting and paint, they're mint. Dunno if any of this helps, but good hearing from you.
Hope you don't have to do any work for the state of ny. Just read an article that says if your truck has not been retrofited with the new emission you cannot work for them. Everywhere else we have until 2016 to either retrofit or sign waiver saying you will scrap your truck.
The specs are good, if it's been well taken care of it should good to go. It's a Mack, you cant go wrong!
Is this nuts or what, New York is bad as Cali. I won't be doing any trucking for them because of this. Imagine having 10, 20, 30 trucks that you have to retrofit! I can't see how they are going to enforce this when so many older trucks around. This rule does not apply to New York state owned trucks. :Banghead The system is around $10,000 Thanks Nedly I think Mack makes a good truck but what do I know. Every one keeps telling me they are uncomfortable.
It will be a good truck until something goes with the electronics. Then you will want to go back to the mechanical engine.
Are the electronics prone to fail sooner with Mack than with other manufactures or is this something that is true with all electronic trucks? My old Mack is very simple but talk about a smoky truck! My truck puts out some black smoke! New York state definitely wont want me on jobs with the 1989'. What about the installation of a dump bed, how difficult? hvy1ton, it is nice to be still in the game given the crappy economy. I have gotten over the first big hurdle paying for most of the first batch of equipment so want to upgrade a little. Thank god I am only looking at one piece of equipment and not 5 or 6 like I did back 2004.:drinkup
"Are the electronics prone to fail sooner with Mack than with other manufactures or is this something that is true with all electronic trucks? My old Mack is very simple but talk about a smoky truck! My truck puts out some black smoke! New York state definitely wont want me on jobs with the 1989'." Not any worst than other trucks. But if your only option is your local Mack dealer, take a jar of vasaline with you. You might want to read through the post on bigmacktrucks.com. There's a good group of Mack owners there. Is the puff limiter hooked up and working on your '89?
I have been to the local Mack dealer and understand the Vaseline part very well! Puff limiter have no idea, can you give me more info. I new nothing about diesel engines just a few years ago and have learned what ever I do know now the hard way.
Look for discussions on the bigmacktrucks board about the puff limiter. Or, call me anytime @ 919-932-3344. I can explain it by phone much faster than I can type. I'll be in Binghamton tomorrow.
I know an excavating contractor with 2 trucks identical to what you are looking at. One is a '99 and the other an '01. I know a few of his guys pretty well, one of them drives the '01. I havent heard them say anything about electronics, other than the accelerator pedal on the '01, it wasnt much of a fix I guess. they are a tough truck, this particular contractor has been at it for a long time and all he ever buys are Macks. I've never done a dump box before, but it seems as though it shouldnt be a big deal as long as the dimensions are the same as the current box. I would think your 150 should be able to lift it easily enough. Good luck and keep us posted, we are going to need pics!:drinkup
Puffer valve is a very simple matter. It is located at the front of the injector pump on the E6 series engines. Has an air line hooked to it. When engine is coming up from low rpm it gives a "puff" air to the injector pump which greatly reduces the smoke produced until the turbo comes up to speed. It is a simple 15 minute fix. Last puffer valve I bought was about $42.00. It makes a huge difference in no time flat.
Thank you, I will check that Monday. Nedly I know you like your Mack. I will be happy to upgrade no matter what it is! Air conditioning will be nice.
I understand! I have always been a mack guy, but we almost bought a freightliner right before we got the granite. They are like anything else, all essentially the same with there own little quirks, what it comes down to is good and or bad experiences and owner/ driver preference.
What do you think of the Granite? I have had a lot of fellows that have them tell me they don't like them. On the other hand, since Volvo has owned Mack they have tipped the whole product line upside down so that about all that it is is a Volvo with a Bulldog on the hood. I have been running Macks for 20 years and won't be buying any of the Volvo-Macks.
I really am happy with it, but I don't have too much to compare it too. A lt of other guys I talk to that rn granites hate them. I would lke to find a nice one owner older all mechanical RD someday, those trucks were what made Mack IMO.
John, regarding the mounting of the dump body, the difficulty level of it will be determined by your welding, fabricating, mechanical and rigging skills. In most cases you will need to notch the frame to accept the rear hinge pivot for the box then weld the hinges to the frame, mount the pump and hyd tank (fab and weld brackets), install p.t.o. to trans. and connect drive shaft to pump, rig box onto truck (depending on the size of your excavator- weight of the box- you can use it to lift the box onto the truck) and thats pretty much it. If you fell good about your skills and have the equipment, give it a shot!
RD or RB either one. RB is great for dump truck with the set back front axle.
Yeah, I always wanted to drive an RB to see how the turning radius was.
Here is the 1989' runs good would sell it.
How much? Does it pass DOT? What payload are you legal for? I always liked that truck!
You got my attention too...
In terms of dump trucks an RB quad will turn in the same radius as an RD triaxle.
Good to know, thanks for that info!!
Here is the specs for 1989: 38,000 rears 17,000 fronts 7 speed 300hp air and air lock pintle, locking rears, low low 1,2,R registered for 54,000 inspected in June. I wouldn't mind keeping it because you can load with a skid steer easily. Trucks tare is 22,840. New stuff this year: brake pads, drums, front floats, 4 rear tires, hydraulic lift ram rebuilt for box, battery's New stuff last year: driver seat, radio, alternator, starter, heater fan, load tarp, slack adjuster, air to air cooler asking $20,000 this truck is my only dump truck so what ever it needed I fixed it when it needed it.
So you haul around 15 ton?
15 ton is legal, the truck with 15 on it is very easy on the truck.
I drove the truck home. Here is a photo of the new to me truck: Needs some basic repair stuff, my lettering, but should be good to go.
Yeah man!! Was that on truckpaper.com? From NH? CONGRATS!!!!!!!
Over here mack doesnt have a good reputation as good as you guys say depends who you talk to, but a freightliner on the other hand doesnt matter who you talk to they are the biggest heap of crap. We have lots of issues with them, apparently they got better since they run benz running gear but that wasnt until 04 05 from memory
Nedly, thats the truck.
Thought so! How was the trip home?
Trip was long, didn't go by way of VT going home. Went that way, over the mountains and threw the small towns and did not want to do that with a dump truck. We went down 91 to 90 and then west, took close to 6 hours each way. Truck did fine needs a new seat so even more uncomfortable than usual.
Good trip to get used to her and give her a good road test though!