Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looks like oil burning…

wlhequipment ยท 2018-09-10 12:04

I'm pretty sure this is oil burning. I know it seems a little silly to ask, but I wanted to hear what you guys thought. I've never seen this much, so I wanted to put it out there. Thanks for any comments!

Replies11
  1. #1Birken Vogt2018-09-10 12:30

    Probably oil, but it could be diesel, or coolant. Pretty hard to tell from 2 stills with no context. I would be judging by smell and by what fluids in the engine were dropping.

  2. #2wlhequipment2018-09-10 13:12

    I can't run it long enough to see what fluids are dropping. My neighbor already came over thinking the building was on fire, and seeing if I was ok I'm sure it's oil now - oil all over the turbo housing / exhaust. I just had never seen so much. I'm working on now trying to figure out if it's coming from the engine or the turbo. It's smoking almost immediately upon start, so I'm thinking it's coming from the engine.

  3. #3AllDodge2018-09-10 14:41

    If the turbo is leaking it will smoke big time

  4. #4Birken Vogt2018-09-10 15:20

    I would say it is a fair assessment that it might take a few minutes for the exhaust to get hot enough at idle to start burning turbo oil while rings or whatever will have combustion temperature and make smoke right away. However this may vary depending on engine configuration.

  5. #5Billrog2018-09-10 21:23

    Broken ring or a hole in a piston ?

  6. #6Grady2018-09-10 23:07

    Have you used much starting fluid on this motor?

  7. #7Ronsii2018-09-11 01:32

    Bad cylinder, stuck/broke rings.... had one on a case 188 center hole was dead(rain waterrusted) and it would smoke like that... Although a lot does depend on just what kind of engine it is???? gas, diesel, turbo??? I see you've asked about ford 555/575's before had one with a bad head gasket start eating coolant had some pretty good smoke but you could taste the coolant when breathing the smoke

  8. #8wlhequipment2018-09-11 11:27

    I am now 100% certain it's the turbo I just disconnected the outlet side of the turbo from the engine, ran it for oh... maybe a minute, and got this. I also kind of swabbed out the intake housing at the engine; it had oil pooled up in there, and what do you know - no smoke. It's always something that keeps me in business!

  9. #9wlhequipment2018-09-11 11:36

    To answer some of the questions - this is an ASV track steer with a Perkins turbo diesel (I don't know what model, 4 cyl). The machine presented running rough and smoking terribly. The smoke was white / blue by the time it got to me, but the customer said it was initially black. Black then white smoke with a rough running engine suggests injectors or compression or something like that. I took compressions on the engine while cold, and they were all 300 - 310 psi, a little low, but all good for a cold engine. I sent the injectors off for rebuild, put em back in, and the engine started right up and ran smooth, but smoked like crazy (first pics). That's when I posted up. I took off the intake crossover tube (the tube that takes the output of the turbo into the induction system of the engine), and saw lots of oil pooled up at the intake, and way too much oil in the tube and turbo. I started er up and all that crap came spittin out and kept spittin. Made a huge mess. Anyhow, that's my story. Thanks for the tips!

  10. #10wlhequipment2018-09-11 11:41

    Never on a diesel

  11. #11Bluox2018-09-11 11:42

    Pull the air cleaner and see how plugged up it is. Bob