Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

low coolant sensor

petepilot ยท 2018-11-02 19:25

I want to install a low water sensor in a radiator made before they were common . simple set up ign.on if water low warning light on dash comes on . always on when key is on. ideas or brand names to use?

Replies10
  1. #1RZucker2018-11-02 19:53

    I think I have a dead module from a mid 80's volvo in my junk box, they used a twin probe system that read wet or dry and tripped a warning lamp. I'll see if I can find it Monday. It might have been a Kysor product.

  2. #2Birken Vogt2018-11-02 20:24

    I have some experience in this area. Do you have a pipe fitting available to install it?

  3. #3petepilot2018-11-02 20:35

    there are several different size plugs in the top tank which one is easiest to remove is likely what i will use provided i can find the right threads to fit and that is far enough down to not be a problem if water level is only a quart or so low

  4. #4petepilot2018-11-02 20:46

    something like that is what i have in mind temp gages tell you nothing if there is nothing for them to read

  5. #5RZucker2018-11-02 20:57

    I'll try to find it and get you the info.

  6. #692U 34062018-11-02 21:11

    A lot of the gens I work on have a float-type switch that is either NC or NO depending on how its oriented. Wouldn't be too hard to wire fused power from ignition, to the switch, then back to a dash light. Not sure how well the switch would hold up in a truck though. The gens don't get transported much.

  7. #7heymccall2018-11-02 21:41
  8. #8petepilot2018-11-02 23:21

    that just might be the ticket will check it out t,y,sir

  9. #9Birken Vogt2018-11-03 01:48

    Not a fan of that design that puts an electrical probe right in the coolant Here are some capacitive switches. 1 hot 1 ground and 1 wire that operates the light. 1/4 thread, usually expensive https://parts.srpamericas.com/10000-52505.html 1/2 thread, cheaper Kohler 273520 One of these switches to hot, the other to ground https://shop.cat.com/en/usa-parts/430-9449 https://parts.cat.com/en/catcorp/430-9454

  10. #10Truck Shop2018-11-03 07:21

    That Generac coolant tank probe looks like the same as Freightliner, those work fine on ours. Truck Shop