Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Low-flow Forestry Mulcher Head?

Courage ยท 2025-09-25 12:47

Hey guys, I've been seeing the Chinese low flow forestry mulchers for sale a lot lately. My gut instinct is that they'd be complete junk, but I'm not sure. Have any of you used one? I could be tempted to get one to do some clearing around my parents place for them, and then also to maybe do some side work with. Probably use it 12 days a year or less... just thinking if it would last for that long (12 days x8hours x2years = 194 hours) honestly even only 1 year with that amount of work, and do a decent job, that it could be a good investment. The local rental shop charges about 2k a day to rent their forestry mulcher. So let's say I charge $150 an hour to run a ctl with one of these heads since I'm certain that a Chinese low flow head wouldn't be as fast as their machine, if someone needed a small area cleared (like a rual city lot) I would think I could make some money, and save them some money over renting the machine for a day. Idk, maybe a good idea, or terrible one? Thanks in advance for your help! Courage

Replies3
  1. #1Welder Dave2025-10-01 23:50

    I don't think a low flow mulcher head would work very good. The bigger thing to be worried about is heat. A mulcher would create a lot of heat of the hydraulic fluid. A low flow mulcher would be working at max. capacity most of the time.

  2. #2AASC2025-10-02 18:30

    Lots of people buy the Raytree brand and have had pretty good luck. Lots of auction places sell them and you can usually snag one for 5k or less for a low flow. They are built pretty well for what you pay. Hard to justify 20k+ for your usage.

  3. #3Courage2025-10-13 00:58

    Hmmm, I'm going to look into the Raytree brand then. I did figure that heat would be the issue with a low flow head. Thanks guys!