Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Low oil pressure

Skeew · 2020-10-29 21:10

I got a d9g with a d353 engine, serial number 66a12365. We just rebuilt the engine and on startup we had low oil pressure from 8 psi to 22 psi. We put a brand new oil pump in and the oil pressure is still the same. Can the turbo oiler be the problem? It wasn't in the greatest shape when we put it back on the engine because it was seized up.

Replies4
  1. #1Truck Shop2020-10-30 21:17

    C Mark, Nige or Mark 250 are the ones you need, they will probably be along.

  2. #2Coaldust2020-10-30 22:41

    I really like those old “six and a quarter bore” Cat engines. There was a recent discussion about aftermarket vs OEM Cat parts. I assume you have already installed a known good & accurate test gauge to verify oil pressure. On more than one occasion, I have found the wrong size main or rod bearings installed in circumstances like this. I would review the plasti-gauge results from assembly or drop a rod and main cap and double check bearing clearance. Was this work done in the tractor or did you pull the engine? Any machine shop work done?

  3. #3Coaldust2020-10-30 23:17

    I just noticed there are two threads going on this. That’s a party foul. I’ll follow the other one.

  4. #4digger242j2020-10-31 07:36

    It can be confusing when the same member posts the same question in multiple places. Per our standard operating procedure, I'll close this one. Further discussion is taking place at : HeavyEquipmentForums