I was recently told by a kobelco dealer that my older machines would have premature fuel system component failure due to less sulfur to lube the system and when i asked my local oil company where i buy my fuel he agreed but they both have stacks of fuel conditioner for sale which ive always used periododicly anyway but is it really more important now with this fuel and if so is the use of on road ultra low sulfur completely out of the question , although at todays prices thats not as common as years past
I have run my old diesels (1970's) on #2 heating oil for years? Is this low sulfur as well? I have never check this out. John
The Feds have standards for the new fuel. It has to have a certain level of lubricity. That said, I use additives to boost the cetane and also add various types of oil to my fuel. What I use most often is 2 stroke mix. Don't need to add a whole lot. I may put 1/2 quart in my tanks whenever I fuel up. My truck carries 200 gallons.
Sticker on the pump where I get #2 dyed fuel for my equip also says Ultra low sulfur. Would regular old fuel conditioner be the right additive? like a Bottle of White 911?
We use an additive made by (power service) white bottle ,red cap says it raises cetane 4 points , prevents icing and adds lubricity . Its the only kind we ever tried ,dont know if its best but the price isnt to bad 6$ for up to 100gal treatment . If you know of something better or cheaper please feel free to say so.
This study was done over at the Diesel Place a few years ago.Good stuff. http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=44499&d=1188575783
i use 2 cycle motor oil in my fuel 1 ounce to a gallon of fuel it helps alot
When low-sulfur fuel was being introduced the EPA said that it was going to cause premature seal failure in many older engines, but it wasn't going to be significant since it would only average $900/ engine, and would encourage people to buy newer, cleaner, engines. I can't tell you how much I appreciated the EPA's sentiments. Each type of engine I owned had the same failure at the same time(i.e. all 3 E7 Macks lost their checkvalve seals, both Cummins lost their throttle shaft seal, etc.).
Love my Country - fear my Government! This is a simular situation that marine users ran into a couple of years ago when they started putting ethanol in the gas.
This is a wise read for anyone wanting the most out of there diesels, and goes to show not all additives do what they say. I run a Bio diesel and 2 stroke mix in my pickup. There isn't anything cheaper or more affective then bio for lubricity its also a great fuel system cleaner.