Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Lowboy Refurbishment Project

Metalman 55 ยท 2016-11-03 20:20

We purchased this 5 year old 55 Ton Lowboy a year ago with the realization that it needed a new paint job. Some of the main structural members were starting to get quite pitted from the winter salt on the roads. We pulled it off the road a few weeks ago & stripped it down, removing the old planks, air reservoirs, hyd cylinders, loosened all air valves, air lines etc & went to work blasting the frame. We took it to a local company that has a 60' long spray booth for priming & painting. They did a great job on the painting for us. Just got things back together & on the road yesterday. A lot of work, but it should be worth it in the long run.

Replies10
  1. #1Metalman 552016-11-03 20:23

    These were the before pictures.

  2. #2crane operator2016-11-03 23:46

    Looks great. Trailer looks wider than 8'? Looks like its got a lot more tie down points than my talbert does. I've got a paint job on my list of near term projects also.

  3. #3Metalman 552016-11-04 07:19

    It is actually 9 1/2' wide. It was not so evident from the outside but the trailer had considerable corrosion on the inside & underneath. The previous owner bought it new & it ran steady all the time, so he had no time to strip it down like we did & paint it.

  4. #4movindirt2016-11-04 22:43

    Looks good! Your trailer neck's top 2 pins are the same style as my Rodgers trailer, looks like you've got some shims under them to keep the front of the trailer up a little higher? If so could you post a picture of them? I need to do something similar for mine.

  5. #5Metalman 552016-11-04 23:42

    A while back I had made this sketch up for some new shim plates & we got some additional ones cut out. There are small tabs on the gooseneck that fit the little cutouts on either end of these plates to hold them in place & you just add more shim plates as required to raise the front portion of the bed. A real simple concept that really works well. If you want a close-up picture of the plates in place, just let me know & I can do that.

  6. #6JoshA2016-12-24 22:23

    Trailer looks great, I have a pet peeve of guys doing a "quick" repaint, but it's not cheap to do it right ! What's the reason for no fenders on truck or trailer?

  7. #7Metalman 552016-12-25 14:55

    Actually the tractor does have fenders on it now (over the wheels), but the trailer I prefer it without. If the rear wheels are enclosed with fenders over them, I think it is harder to keep them clean inside, under the fenders, thus more rust. Also, harder to deal with when blasting & painting I think. Around here there is a lot of road salt used.

  8. #8JoshA2016-12-25 16:02

    Looking again I can see the fenders on the truck now, great! I haven't gotten them put over my rear axle yet, unfortunately, it's driving me nuts. On my scissorneck I put axles on all 3 axles, steel on the front two and removable aluminum on the rear. I need to get something for my tandem lowboy, which will likely just be rubber. I agree it's harder to clean in the fenders, but it's better than chipping up the paint, windows, and covering with road grime all the equipment you're hauling!!

  9. #9Bls repair2017-01-28 12:19

    It's nice to see someone do a little preventive maintenance .Most companies I've worked for run their stuff into the dirt then complain about price to repair or replace.

  10. #10Hysert2017-02-08 09:01

    Nice job!!! Should do well for you for many yrs to come