We purchased a Triaxle 55ton rgn lowboy to move my machine around (42ton). - Trailer tag plate says GVW 55ton - Each axle rating is 10.5ton x 3=31.5 ton Tractor is tridrive T800, isx15 600 with 18speed. 20k (9.5ton) front and 69 (31ton) rear. Locally I am allowed 27ton in summer/winter on each tri group. I can plate to 63.5ton at the registry. - 9.5t front + 27t rear drives + 27t trailer tri axle= 63.5ton GCWR - Tractor is 10t + trailer 10t=20t tare, so payload 43.5t +/- - Adding tandem jeep will add 21ton capacity same with tandem booster, so total 21t+21t=42ton (minus weights of jeep and booster) added capacity. Question is, what's the heaviest I can haul when i add jeep and booster, but RGN is rated to 55ton. I see guys move much heavier loads the more axles they add. At which point the trailer is too light for the load? Thanks guys
I'm gonna say 56 ton??
Was thinking the same. 55ton +/- max cargo weight regardless of how many additional axles. Looks like I am on the right track
If the GVW is 55T, isn't max load 55T minus trailer weight (prolly about 25K-30K)
Technically, I'm guessing yes. But, there are literally thousands of hopper trailers in this country that have hauled thousands of loads weighing what the GVW number is. Not saying it's right, but I see many 50 ton lowboys drive by on the highway with 40 ton hoes and loaders on their back.
Axle Weight Limits by State | Regulations & Requirements Titan Worldwide is a heavy haul trucking company that provides hauling services and resources such as state guidelines for axle weight limits. titanww.com
He's not asking what is legal, he's asking the limits of the trailer, he already knows what he can weigh on what axles. I just looked up numerous manufacturer's specs on RGN trailers. It appears to me that lowboy ratings are based on beam capacity. For example, most 55 ton trailers can carry 55 ton in 10 feet. There are some cheaper ones, like these Doonans, that are rated for 55 ton in 16'. My suggestion to the OP is check out the spec sheet for his particular trailer. Quality Hydraulic Detachable Double Drop Trailers » Doonan Specialized Trailers, LLC. Are you looking for a reliable hydraulic detachable double drop trailer? Check out Doonan's list of specs and see how we can help you find a RGN trailer to suit your needs. www.doonan.com
And your only going to buy extended permits of so much for each axle, And ratings are in some cases split between lowboy and RNG. The question is really moot, in most cases it's what can be gotten away with and how many times before structural damage. Which in any case a max of 8% is reality.
What irritates me on your Titan post, it's merely a generalization. This is what ND allows. If I'm understanding your 8% comment, that is in the ballpark to what you're doing when you put 45k on a tandem that's rated for 40k. Putting 60k on a tridem that has 22.5k axles isn't even overloading, and 68k on four axles isn't even worth mentioning.
Data plate on trailer will tell you its capacity. More than likely 55 ton in 10 or 12’. You mentioned adding a jeep and two axle booster. Assuming the trailer is built for that you won’t decrease capacity. However, if it’s not made for a two axle booster then you’re taking a real chance of pulling it into two pieces where the deck transitions into the wheel area. The only way to know is contact dealer or manufacturer to obtain design spec. Also, depending on how your jeep is setup you may create an overload condition on the front end as well if you add a neck extension it wasn’t engineered for. Think of it like this, with a truck and just the trailer the length between points of support (kingpin and center of rear axle group) is say 50’ long. Add a jeep and booster and now that same deck is seeing a load with a support span of 65’ (just a guess). That adds tons of stress to the beams as well as the neck overlap and transition area. Before I added any axles or neck extensions I’d make sure it’s built for it. Can you get away with it from time to time? Yeah maybe a few. But when it pulls a bottom flange in two or shears booster pins it’ll be in the worst possible place. I’ve had properly built and loaded trailers fail.
Valid points! The whole reason for asking this was to figure out my max cargo weight based on trailer manufacturer. In this case 55ton allowable cargo weight on the beam between axles is my understanding. My trailer is 1993 Witzco RG-50 triaxle. Tag on the trailer says GVW: 54,400 kg. I wasn't aware of span rating, but I heard witzco uses 16' span. With that said, we'll length is 22', so do I extrapolate to get rating based on 22'? In Alberta, we can permit even overweight. Before i bought the trailer, i had guys show up with tandem (46k rears) tractor with tri axle rgn and they moved my 42ton excavator with no issues and legal. We can get annual overweight and if we are over on annual we apply for overweight permit per trip.
Thanks for this additional info, definitely food for thought. I see that witzco does have extended necks, boosters and jeeps available at the time of order, hence I thought their trailers are rated for the attachments. I will call them to verify to be sure.
That's good--because in most cases it boils down to generalization. And that's 8% per axle.
A homebuilt two axle--overweight--it's seen 80 ton. *
You say it's a 1993. What kind of life has it had? We have a couple of Etnyre floats, ten years apart. They look the same empty, but the older one sags pretty bad with a 350 excavator or a Roadtec shuttle buggy on deck. We don't have a jeep for them, but a pin on 4th axle to haul a 470 Hitachi, I'm doubtful the older one would lift the 470, even with the counter weight off.