Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Lower left kingpin removal

Cjalbert · 2023-10-05 13:37

Hi All, Novice here, Through maybe years of neglect from not greasing the lower kingpin I found my tractors wheel a little out of plum. Actually pushed it off the ground and had about 1-1/2" of play back and forth. Was looking for any and all insight towards how to attack this project. Praying that the bottom of the axle is still good? It appears to be worn about half and half with the left steering knuckle. Which I am assuming will also need to be replaced. The three bolts that hold the lower kingpin up into the steering knuckle have actually grooved out the axle seat after the knuckle wore away. Again any direction is appreciated. Not ignorant just never had a tractor like this before. Thanks in advance!

Replies16
  1. #1Tinkerer2023-10-07 08:59

    No reply's yet ? That is a severe example of failing to repair a problem before it got more expensive than it should be to repair. The only thing you can do is dismantle it and see what needs to be replaced. The other side may need to be looked at to.

  2. #2funwithfuel2023-10-07 09:33

    I would remove everything. Block up the axle, remove the wheel and axle shaft. That will give you room to work. If the lower ball-joint won't come out, you can put a small bottle jack in there and press it out. Then you can remove the spindle and check the bore. If it's harmed, you can replace or repair.

  3. #3Cjalbert2025-04-21 10:25

    Hi Guys, appreciate the responses - my uncle thought he would just continue to run it because “it wasn’t that bad” snapped the swivel knuckle off of the king pin-now I need a whole front axle l….FML

  4. #4Simon C2025-04-21 14:11

    When money is no question, then people do what people do. Start looking at salvage yards and then you might be into other fun. Thanks for sharing as others may take maintenance more seriously from the picture you sent. Simon C

  5. #5HarleyHappy2025-04-22 09:04

    I greased the upper yesterday but didn’t bother with the bottom. Im going to go do that later today. Good luck.

  6. #6Diesel Dave2025-04-22 10:04

    For that style lower king pin bearing, Deere used to supply a cone (no cage) with a couple of extra rollers to increase load capacity. That was a pita to put together !

  7. #7HarleyHappy2025-04-23 07:57

    Not sure I should thank you or curse you. Lol Found a whole bunch of these needles when greasing right lower kingpin. Seems my Ujoint is bad on my axle. Thanks. Now I need to see what I need to order, before pulling apart. Probably inner and outer seals, think I will wait on bearings at the moment. Oh well, such is life of owning an older backhoe. Took it out of 4 wheel drive for the moment.

  8. #8Welder Dave2025-04-26 02:49

    Your uncle should help pay for repairs, especially if he ever plans to try and borrow it.

  9. #9Cjalbert2025-04-28 15:56

    Best of luck, these older machines are hard to find parts for…. I got a line on one but still verifying….

  10. #10Cjalbert2025-04-28 15:58

    Right! -Ya whether he know it or not he will be!

  11. #11Cjalbert2025-04-28 16:00

    Where do you think those bearings come out of? Those seem small?

  12. #12pittsburgh cat man2025-04-28 16:33

    U joint ??

  13. #13HarleyHappy2025-04-29 08:36

    Definitely. While greasing lower kingpin I noticed all those needles and there is a small part of the cage. They were all under the front axle inner u-joint and I noticed it was sloppy. There are ungreaseable u-joints. I will be pulling it all apart while I am waiting on parts for the loader main pivot pin and bushings. Unfortunately, my parts book shows only the early model Case 580 SE with the 4 bolt kingpins and I have the 3 bolt kingpins so I will have to wait till I get it apart, to see what I need to order for parts. I am figuring on at least 1 u-joint and probably the inner and outer hub seals. Any suggestions on what else, feel free to chime in?

  14. #14Sberry2025-04-29 09:31

    Pull it apart BEFORE you order. A&I makes a bunch of that stuff.

  15. #15Simon C2025-04-29 11:01

    Make sure the differential vent is not plugged when you pull the axle out. Good time to check. Have seen some rusted up and plugged. Simon C

  16. #16Sberry2025-04-30 20:55

    Yes. That is part of a line item service when we get something used. One of the items I check.