Anyone know if they make an adapter to run a LP forklift off a 20 pound gas grill cylinder? Have been looking at some upcoming auctions and while the machines run some don't have cylinders. Figured I would buy the right cylinder if needed but if it came with one then wouldn't bother. Just need a way to start it up and get it on and off the trailer
The newer barbecue LP tanks that have the external threads on the gas valve, these will match the coupler on the forklift. If it only has the internal left hand threads, then no. You could make up a short jumper hose in a pinch, but most tanks these days will work with either connector. You can usually pick up the horizontal forklift tanks off craigslist if you are patient.
Thanks much On a similar but different fuel question; I'm looking at pneumatic tire (outdoor gravel) forks and don't most of these have a switch over to run on gasoline?
Never seen a dual fuel forklift, all the ones I've ever run across were either strictly gas, diesel, or gas engine set up for LP only. Lots of the pneumatics are set up for LP for use inside as well as out, or for safety reasons. LP is easier and supposedly safer to store and swap tanks than having to store spare gas cans or a bulk tank and refuel with liquid. Not saying there are no dual fuel forks, just never seen one personally. Cheers
Thanks again, my manlift runs on either and just ran across an auction which said it worked that way (reason for the question). I'm sure your correct, the newer models don't do both. Found a diesel model (6K) which would be great, just the guy wants more then I'm willing to pay
The biggest reason you can't run a forklift from a BBQ bottle is that the output of a BBQ bottle is vapor. The output of a forklift bottle is liquid. Two completely different animals. Toyota makes a lot of dual fuel forklifts (series 8), but nothing that would do well in gravel.
It should run off vapor just fine, these aren't high demand engines. If not, just make sure your bbq tank is full and lay it sideways.
Yeah, the tank will freeze up eventually and get cold enough the propane won't vaporize. He did say run it on and off the trailer and as Walker1 said, it should work that long.
The new BBQ tanks have a angle valve in them, if the tank is leaned over it shuts the gas off. Either way I went out and look at the forklift, and it does run just fine on gas. Only issue I found with the machine is it takes more throttle to back up. This may not be a real issue because it was cold and I only moved it a few inches fwd then bacb, and it was in soft gravel. Going up at auction Monday