We have some water in fuel tank I think. Fuel filter gels up when it gets real cold changed filter good for short time and same if I put magnetic heat on filter for 30 mins will run fine. Is there a drain port in bottom of tank? I thought heater was a fix but lil brother doesn't approve... just never like working on our stuff after working on some else's during the day. If some one can wave the magic wand that be cool.
Dump some diesel 911 in the tank, and keep changing the filters is about all you can do, short of pulling the tank, and cleaning, on most skids. Here is another stop-gap measure: https://www.amazon.com/KEENOVO-Sili...3491966&sr=8-12&keywords=diesel+filter+heater There are also heater units, that operate off of engine coolant, too, but are generally more $
Do you have summer diesel that's gelling on you? below 20F. Add some antigel and run it long enough to mix it up and circulate, or use that fuel up and use winterized fuel. Drain the filter into a jar, If you have water, add a water separator filter ahead of the one you have.
It's not summer fuel and used normal winter fuel treatment. Was talking to my dad he said old timers used to leave piece of rope hanging out of tank in freezing weather water should freeze around rope and just pull. if there's a lot some might break off but each time you get some. I was just wondering if there was a drain most stuff collects water over time and I'm one of the weirdos who expect serviceability. I bought some more filters just not to efficient of a way. Thanks guys
From experience, if it has the Lucas Delphi injection pump on it, don't let any water get to it. $$! Those pumps don't stand up to water like the old CAV's would.
I don't touch skidsteers, but I get the impression they don't have tank drains like other equipment usually does. I like the rope idea, for creativity at least. I could see that working nice if you have a corner on the bottom of the tank and can park so the water lays in a line along the edge of the tank and can get the rope right in there. You'll get a good portion of the garbage out as well with that little trick. Hmmmmm. Be careful not to let the rope loop down from the tank, water will siphon through the hose, not sure if diesel will. You don't have to use a new filter every time. If you're careful, you can dump the fuel out without getting any in the middle hole, then stick it back on, prime it, start it and run a few minutes. Do this when it's warmed up, and rev the engine with no load for a minute when it starts. That's what I do to keep from having to prime and start a cold engine. Or, drill a hole in the bottom of a new filter and thread a petcok on there with JBweld. Maybe drill the hole in a used one first so you're sure it doesn't defeat the filter element.
Remove fuel sending unit from fuel tank, it is mounted on top of tank with 6 screws, put hose down into tank where sending unit was, pump out tank in to empty 5 gallon buckets until you cannot get anymore fuel from tank, take a shop rag and wrap the end of a coat hanger around the rag and put in to fuel tank to mop the tank out, ring out the rag until the tank is clean, the fuel that you removed that you have sitting in the 5 gallon buckets has settled by now, if there is any water or debris in the fuel it will be in the bottom of the 5 gallon bucket, pour the good fuel back into the fuel tank, toss the last few inches of fuel out, reinstall sending unit. I hope this helps you, also add Antigel additive to the tank!!!!