Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

LS 190B

Todd S Edgar ยท 2019-09-15 09:46

I bought a used 2005 LS190B with high flow hydraulics with 1500 hours last December. This summer I noticed that it runs for sometime after I shut it off at low throttle. If I shut it off at 3/4 or greater power, it shuts right off. Also, when engine is cold and started, it seems to have blue smoke and a light sound of a knock for a minute but once it warms up, it runs perfect and no smoke at idle or knock. Was looking for advice on the engine run issue after shutdown and blue smoke/knock on a cold start?

Replies8
  1. #1phil3142019-09-15 10:41

    Sounds to me like the fuel shut-off solenoid & valve is sticking sometimes and isn't closing completely. If the fuel flow is cut off, the machine will stop regardless of throttle setting. I'd look into that first as a runaway diesel is fun to watch on youtube, but not so much fun as an owner. No idea on the 'blue smoke', maybe oil getting into a cylinder. Does that only happen during a cold start and not during a hot start?

  2. #2Todd S Edgar2019-09-15 10:58

    I have the service manual and it mentioned to look at the electromagnet shut off. I went on YouTube and did not find a video of the LS190B fuel shut solenoid but a similar one on a different model. I could remove it to test. A replacement one is $135 and I hate to buy one if that is not the problem. The next step in manual is to overhaul injection pump which is a big expense. That is the only 2 steps in manual for this issue. I have searched the internet but found similar problems for other New Holland models but nothing for the LS 190B. It seems most post mention the solenoid may be sticking. The issue I have is that if I shut it off at low rpm, it runs for about 30 seconds or so before it dies. If it is shutdown at high rpm, it shutdowns just fine. Seems to do this whether the machine is cold or hot. I read an old post (2006 ) that mentioned this was an intial problem with the LS190B and there was a factory fix for this. I haven't been able to find anything about this unless it was a replacement fuel solenoid. As for the blue smoke, everything I read points to oil burning. It only happens on a cold start. Once warmed up, if I shut it down and start it back up, it is fine. If it sits for a few days, I get the blue smoke and what sounds like a slight knock. Thing runs like a champ otherwise.

  3. #3rmllarue912019-09-15 11:08

    Almost positive u have fuel shut off solenoid not closing fuel supply all the way. Post a pic of what style shut off. Oil burning when cold is normal on an engine with wear broken down engine oil makes this worse a higher quality oil might help. As for knock try and get video it could be fuel

  4. #4Todd S Edgar2019-09-15 11:39

    Attach is a picture of the solenoid from Messicks parts page. As for a video, I am away from the skid steer for a few weeks and will follow up when I can get a video. I am wondering if the two are related. If maybe some fuel is getting dumped in there but fuel is more of a black smoke unless it is diluting the oil. However, the machine holds 12.7 quarts which is a lot of oil. I may replace the fuel solenoid when I can. I was trying to reach out to anyone with a LS190B as it has a different engine I believe then the LS190 or L190 to see if anyone has had this.

  5. #5thepumpguysc2019-09-15 16:23

    They rarely go bad.. it is possible that seeing its a "magnet" there might be something stuck in it.. Just unscrew it & have a look & blow it out.. its metric but a 15/16 will get u where u need to be..{most people don't have that large of metric wrench} IF u SEE some shinney bits on it, u have internal problems..

  6. #6Todd S Edgar2019-09-15 17:12

    Sounds good. Will take a look at it when I get back to it in 3 weeks and report back.

  7. #7thepumpguysc2019-09-16 09:42

    I just remembered, I have like 1000 of those solenoids.. if I knew I could get 200.00 apiece for them, I'd quit my day job.!! {oh wait, I don't have a day job..lol}

  8. #8Todd S Edgar2019-09-16 11:37

    Feel like parting with one?