Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Lucas ?

wingnut ยท 2009-04-02 02:54

How many of you use Lucas oil along with reg. diesel oil in your equipment ? Do you recomend it ? Has anyone tried the Lucas hydrolic booster ? What can it help or hurt ? Thanks in advance !

Replies35
  1. #1qball2009-04-03 00:40

    i use lucas in my truck and harley. temps go down, oil pressure goes up. my harley runs 40 degrees cooler.

  2. #2bear2009-04-03 07:45

    Lucas... well worth the money. I use it in everything. Keeps stuff cooler and parts seem to wear better.

  3. #3bill53622009-04-03 23:18

    I'm not a fan, I haven't seen where they have any endorsements of any of the manufactures, or any independent studies. I used in a diesel engine and the oil reports kept coming up with heavy solids, and oil needed to be changed sooner. Here is a link that I found interesting. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm This is just my opinion, not trying to disagree or offend anyone.

  4. #4All Jacked Up2009-06-07 19:55

    I recently changed the chain case oil in my skid steer and thought it would be a good idea to put about a qt of lucas in each side along with the 10 qts of oil. I then had some left over lucas when i decided to chane oil on my fathers 1981 toyota. I added one qt of lucas to the 4 qts of oil. After changing oil and doing the customary dipstick check, i was shocked when it looked foamy on the dipstick. I will definatly be draining that back out and refilling with straight oil. No more additives for me. I do however feel that the chain case on a skid steer is probley the perfect application for lucas as it is pretty slow speed and shouldn't get foamy. YMMV

  5. #5bear2009-06-08 04:43

    I've never had any problems with oil being foamy unless the engine was overfilled. That said I used to help a freind with his late model and we kept a small red light on the dash connected to the oil gauge. The light eventually went bad and we didn't know it during one main race a small rock knocked a hole in the oil pan and drained all the oil. our driver ran a bunch of laps hard without oil and it didn't seize.

  6. #6amunderdog2009-06-08 07:45

    The stuff reminds me of STP I use it some times in a worn out engine i am trying to nurse the last bit out of. Other than that. Not in my equipment.

  7. #7rigandig2009-08-28 08:16

    I use the "hub oil" in all of my axles that have hub oil in them. Lift and steering axles on tractors, and all trailer axles. Keep a quart along for adding in case of a seal failure. I once nursed both lift axle seals on a truck for over a year. Just had a slight leak, moisture around the seal area, so I would add about a shot glass of lucas every service interval. When I finally disassembled both sides, the bearings were still reusable. I can't say about the other products, eng, fuel or other compartments, but it is all I use in the axle hubs.

  8. #8Dirtdozer2010-04-25 21:55

    I believe in this stuff. I had an engine that had an injector housing crack which allowed water to enter the combustion chamber and oil. went half a day unnoticed lost a lot of water drained the oil replaced part all bearings were fine it goes in everything I can put it in 1 gal of lucas to 4 gal of oil. It does make the oil a little foamy could be confused with water but it has saved me on several occasions there chap stick is good too seriously. Just my opinion

  9. #9KG4CPJ2010-04-27 01:10

    Lucas? I would say no just run a very good synthetic like Amsoil.

  10. #10daman2010-04-29 20:18

    I do not recommend it, Lucas oil treatment is nothing more then(VII)Viscosity index improver's,oil thickeners! with hardly any additives at all it's crap,just use a good brand 15w40 and thats all you need.

  11. #11MackMS2010-05-07 20:39

    I just started using it in my Mack motors and when I started getting the oil analysis back after a few changes there are far less dissolved solids and a much better viscosity. Im a firm believer in Lucas, I put it in everything. I also use the fuel additive and there is a definite difference in how strong the old puppy dogs are running.

  12. #12daman2010-05-07 20:46

    If you seen a VOA on the stuff you would not be,it's all carriers and no additives. just saying......

  13. #13MackMS2010-05-07 20:51

    I dont doubt that. The fact that my drivers asked me if I fixed their Jakes after i started putting in the trucks was enough for me. And i noticed a little extra snap in the engine brakes myself. It might be a huge waste of money, but better jake performance = less brake jobs and less DS in the analysis = less overhauls in the long run. Its a good choice for us, but maybe not for others.

  14. #14daman2010-05-07 20:53

    Thats all that matters in the end.

  15. #15daman2010-05-07 21:25

    For members wondering about my above post heres the VOA on this stuff.... Lucas Virgin TBN - 0.1 Visc - 615.3 FP - 435 Calcium - 3(detergent) Magnesium - 1(detergent) Phosphorus - 4(anti wear) Zinc - 2(anti wear) compared to a regular Virgin API CI or CJ-4 HDEO 15w40 TBN 10 to 13 Calcium -1800 to 3000 Magnesium - 50 to 862 Phosphorus - 700 to 1200 Zinc -1100 to 1500 so it's pointless,this stuff is a subtractive, not an additive. It's only good in an engine that either leaks or smokes/burns a ton of oil. It makes your overall add pack 1/4 to 1/5 weaker (depends on how much you use and the size of your sump) because it's diluting your base oil and makes your oil way too thick again depending on ratio. so for what it's worth to ya...

  16. #16nowing752010-05-11 13:26

    The lab i deal with says that it is no good. They tested it for indianapolis city and found it no better then the recycled oil that they are using. You have to give Forest lucus credit he is a great sales man selling somthing that does nothing. Jason

  17. #17reddog8482010-06-12 14:42

    I have a Powerstroke 7.3 Ford. I have used Lucas in it since new, now has 342,598 miles and has NEVER been touched on the inside or injection system. It is in every thing that uses oil here. Might not work for you but it sure has for me. I'm 68 and on SS so if the Ford or dozer craps out, I'm done. Hope you have good luck with it! reddog848 Fred

  18. #18daman2010-06-12 15:51

    No offense but that 7.3 would have gotten there on cooking oil,figures don't lye,there's nothing in it that's of ANY befit,read the above posts. Marketing is a powerful thing.

  19. #19Abscraperguy2010-06-15 00:10

    I'll inject a little wisdom my Dad imparted to me once. His thought was that people use additives are always listening to see if its running better or smoother etc. Hence if something does start to go wrong they catch it earlier. There is also a thought out there that if I really want to take care of my vehicle I should use all this special stuff so if I am an additive addict I probably don't run it hard etc. In otherwords if the additive is only affecting us psychologically its not a bad thing.

  20. #20daman2010-06-15 09:54

    There's nothing wrong with additives, LOTS out there on the market that DO work but this stuff is not one of them.

  21. #21Tinkerer2010-06-15 15:25

    daman, Are there any additives for diesel engine oil that you would recommend ? I know good quality oil doesn't need it , but I am running an engine with a lot of hours on it and I was thinking maybe a little something added would be a good thing for it.

  22. #22busdrivernine2010-12-05 02:46

    I do not use the engine oil additive but do use the Lucas Fuel Treatment in my 88 pete as my old school pete was built back before they took all the lubicating qualities out of the Diesel fuel and not this ultra low sulphur diesel can play havoic on the fuel system .

  23. #23daman2010-12-05 10:46

    Hi Tinkerer sorry i missed your post somehow... can you tell me a little about what you have?, your application and requirements it has? Correct as you should too,,todays fuel is very "dry" it does has some lubricating property's in it from factory but these old school mechanical pumps and injectors need good lubricity to live a long happy life.

  24. #24Old Junk Man2015-06-18 05:34

    I was always of the opinion that if you use good oil you don't need to add anything to it. I always thought that all the popular motor honey products where good for was to sludge up engines. Back when the gas was near $5 a gallon . I had a govt slurplus 4 cyl ford ranger. It had been run with a broken valve spring . and number three cyl was dead low compression. It really smoked. I had a gallon of lucas I found in a old vehicle. so I added the lucas 50-50 with engine oil. and it worked?! the blow by was reduced. the smoking & oil consumption stopped. I never changed the oil in it again. Just changed the filter about every 90 days. and I drove it for three years.

  25. #25dixon7002015-06-18 13:56

    All lucas products are just good marketing including their fuel additive that does not have good friction reduction properties. I use super tech tw-c3 2 stroke oil and a mixture of xdp's fuel additive and power service gray jug in summer and white jug in winter. In both my tlb and truck. I haven't seen an hdeo additive that works motorkote is an 20 wt mineral oil with less additives than lucas thay is virtually bar and chain oil.

  26. #26Knepptune2015-06-19 17:01

    We used it once on our 3126 that was pretty tired. It had 20 psi oil pressure at high idle. After it got the Lucas treatment it wouldn't build 15 psi. It may work to get the last life out of some engines but I'm convinced it finished that one off. It got an in frame and has been running good since. I've never been sold on additives or super expensive oil. Use decent oil, change it when you should and there shouldn't be any reason to add anything. Of course if spending your money on expensive oil and additives makes you feel better then go for it. I'll spend mine on beer.

  27. #27old-iron-habit2015-06-19 17:23

    This is according to a California friends father whom is a retired CHP officer. The CHP ran a test on a few hundred squad cars in each test throughout the 80s. On half the cars they used the same oil all the time. They did use different name brand oils but always used the same oil in the same vehicle. The other half of the cop cars they used whatever oil was on sale or readily available at the time of the oil change. They used whatever oil was in it if they had to add between oil changes. During the life of the fleet the cars that had random brands of oil installed had less issues than the ones that always used the same oil. The officers personal theory was that this was because different oil use different oil additives and by switching around, he felt that the random oil engines got the benefit of all the different additives. He said they repeated the test 4 times with the same results. I have no opinion on this, just thought it was interesting.

  28. #28Tinkerer2015-06-19 22:21

    I'm sorry I missed your post also Daman. I guess it doesn't matter now since you haven't been back to HEF since 2012. I hope you do come back though .

  29. #29blitz1382015-06-24 07:20

    So weird when these old post get brought back...... Any quality engine Oil is balanced to perform. When you put snake oil, I mean oil additive it throws off the balance of the original oil. All additives are fighting each other for their place in oil, if you increase one thing you are decreasing one or possibly several things.

  30. #30fixou8122015-06-24 09:31

    Do you think it would make your rear main sealy thing last longer.

  31. #31Old Junk Man2015-06-25 08:18

    Why did some of the oil companies take the Zinc out of the oil? Many of my engines are flat tappet cams. and they need zinc. I seems a zinc additive would be helpful?

  32. #32Delmer2015-06-25 09:09

    Emissions, zinc messes up the catalytic converter. as far as I know anyway.

  33. #33blitz1382015-06-25 12:10

    Delmer's partially right. Poor combustion with high zinc oil can shorten the life of catalytic converters. Personally im a huge fan of ZDDP if you have it in a good oil.

  34. #34busy dad2015-08-19 16:31

    I think Speedway sell an additive .

  35. #35Jim D2015-10-09 02:10

    I think Delmer is right about the exhaust catalyst converter. Zinc in oil is very good to prevent 'plucking', the steel pressed against steel wear when steel of one surface bonds to steel of the other surface, and pulls away with the other surface. This is gear lubrication. Sliding bearing lubrication is not the same. Zinc is especially important in motorcycle oils, where the engine and gearbox share lube oil, and there are no exhaust cat-converters that could be poisoned by the zinc. I think automotive oils got rid of zinc additives long ago.