I just purchased a 1989 f600 rollback truck that had been sitting for four years. This truck has Lucas Girling brakes and the parking brake chamber is run with power steering fluid. My problem is the passenger side brake chamber will periodically spew power steering fluid and then will act normal with no leaks. I have put less than 100 miles on this unit, so I don't have much experience with it. My question is why the leak is sporadic? How would I trouble shoot? I can't seem to find any diagrams on the internals of the brake chamber. Is there a way to rebuild the brake chamber or must it be replaced? Thanks for any input Bud
Thanks to all for viewing my question. I was able to get the information I needed from FinditParts, I was able to talk to tech support that passed me off to a Haldex engineer, he emailed me a PDF of what the internals of a hydraulic maxi pot looks like. The bottom line is I can get a kit to repair the brake chamber for $48.20, or remanufactured pot for $126 exchange, or $344 new, from Brake Systems Inc out of Portland, Oregon. I chose the remanufactured because of the little cost savings and not having to deal with the spring inside the pot. I would attach the pdf file for others that may want to know about lucas girling brakes and hydraulic maxi pots but do not see a way to attach a pdf so will attach a jpeg instead. Thanks again, Bud
Welcome to the forum BStrange. I don't rebuild those chambers myself, prefer replacing them. And if you're doing repairs to that parking brake pot, sooner or later you're gonna have to do some work to the DuraPark brake that they operate. These parts are sold by Arvin Meritor now days, pretty much any truck parts supplier should be able to obtain parts. Here's some info on the DuraPark brakes. ftp://164.106.79.2/Instructors/Rscoville/WABCO Meritor Brakes/Drum Brake HD.pdf
Thanks Willie59, My Dad was born in Knoxville, so I'll consider your advise extra special. Bud Oops - advice
You're welcome Bud. A bit different for me than your circumstance as most of the work I used to do on those units were for customer equipment, I didn't like rebuilding those things, then have a problem with them, preferred fitting new or reman parts. Same with those DuraPark brakes, after the first time of attempting to rebuild wheel cylinders, I decided "to heck with that" and started purchasing loaded backing plates with all new parts on them. Simply disconnect brake lines, remove parking brake pot, remove old backing plate from axle, and fit new backing plate with new goodies.
This thread has helped me with a 91 F700 especially the manual that willie59 added. Thanks! Here's another manual that might help out. ftp://164.106.79.2/Instructors/Rscoville/Bendix/Hydro-Max Power Brake System (SD-20-6602).pdf