Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Lucky Kiwi

Queenslander ยท 2017-02-05 05:31

Amazingly, this kiwi lives to drive another day after bailing from a runaway at 77mph. http://www.smh.com.au/world/im-fini...-truck-just-before-crash-20170201-gu3i8d.html

Replies4
  1. #1Graham12017-02-05 09:12

    I thought these days if the air failed there was a fail safe that automatically put the brakes on? Also it sounds like he was running down hill out of gear. I kow people do it, but it is asking for trouble. Graham

  2. #2Kiwi-truckwit2017-02-06 03:54

    They had a follow up story in the paper last week, if anybody is interested. Lucky, lucky bloke indeed. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-bay-today/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503462&objectid=11792826

  3. #3Queenslander2017-02-06 05:26

    In a much sadder incident closer to home, this driver lost his life trying to negotiate the notorious Many Peaks range west of Gladstone last week. I've been down this hill plenty of times over the years in cars and 4wds. Plenty do, but I wouldn't have the balls to take a loaded truck down there. Mostly only single lane with a few passing opportunities, there are signs at the top and bottom advising motorists to pull up and listen for trucks. http://www.news-mail.com.au/news/driver-killed-as-truck-falls-40m-off-cliff/3139111/

  4. #4Kiwi-truckwit2017-02-17 13:37

    While maxi pots will apply the brake if the air is low, it sounded in this case like the brakes may have overheated and suffered brake fade, in which case applying the park brake (which utilises the same brake) will do absolutely nothing.