Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Lucky Skunk — Flail Mower and Cable Incident

Allan M ยท 2026-02-19 13:12

Just sharing a recent near disaster experience and a heads up. I was mowing in 1.5' grass. My flail mower picked up a cable end and about 10' of cable wrapped around the flail mower drum pulling with it a broken 2'x4'x6' beam (out of the grass). It hit me in the shoulder (open cab Kubota LX3310) and head (was wearing a Stihl helmet with ears). The impact was significant--like someone swinging a 2'x4' at me. I lucked out. Just chipped my shoulder rotator cup but could have been much worse. I was mowing an unfamiliar area. I should have walked it first. Thought by sharing this I might help prevent someone else from experiencing the same. This equipment we operate is really modern engineering at it best...but these can maim or kill you just as quick. Be safe.

Replies5
  1. #1BC Placer gold2026-02-19 13:17

    Thanks for posting that, a good reminder how fast something unexpected can happen. Best of luck healing up!

  2. #2Tones2026-02-19 15:16

    You are lucky you have an open cab, now think of what would have happened if had been enclosed, same injury and more with flying glass. Walking areas pre mowing doesn't always stop stuff happening either just minimises it..

  3. #3aighead2026-02-20 06:51

    Yikes! I have a neighbor that I occasionally helped out with my backhoe but his back yard, where I was working, if covered in grass and weeds hid all kinds of old equipment and chunks of pokey metal. I found a point where I was unwilling to do more because I was scared for my tires. Nothing as scary as what happened to you. It's good you are mostly ok, that could have been real bad.

  4. #4Mike-G2026-02-21 11:49

    Thanks for the heads up. I'm glad you're o.k. I have two flail mowers and I like them, but, I promise you, they will wind a garden hose up in no time.

  5. #5Welder Dave2026-02-22 22:46

    Probably good you had a flail mower instead of a rotary. Glad you weren't worse.