Going to haul my 1951 D8 and I only truck for the fun of it so I have a question. It's been a few thousand miles since the frame was painted and wheels put back on and DMV hand book says to check the lugs after 500 miles. How do I re-check the rear with Alcoa's inside and out. I'm guessing the lug nuts needs to be loosened then try to re-tighten the studs? Or no worries DMV guys are idiots, just leave them alone?
assuming they are Budd style wheels- yes- loosen the outer lug nut then tighten the square nut ,re tighten outer nut look for any signs shaving - filings on the rim or tire - a lot of filings could mean trouble getting tires to run straight- also that they were run loose
Thanks OW. Any tips for tighten the stud with the outer wheel on? After removing the lug nut the special socket dosent go on far enough to fit the squared stud.
I would think you could take off the outter lugs and tighten the inner lug stud, you may wan to leave one or two on then take them off and do them after you put the outer nuts back on.
You can get a socket with just the 13/16 square so that you only have to loosten the outers, if you have good quality sockets a larger 12 point will engage the square also. If you tightened the inners up good the first time and the surfaces are clean you probably don't need to re torque the inners , I never have on steel taper seat buds if I put them on. the tire shop guys don't check the inners on aluminum for the most part but it is your call. :cool2
A pic. would be nice. As I am wondering how much thread engagement you have if you can't get the wrench on? Maby it is just the stye of wrench. muzy
I took special socket and cut it in half, then welded another socket to the lug nut end. I simple loosed the lug nuts a round or two then switched to the stud socket and to try and tighten the studs. Only found one loose stud so it made all the work worth wild. When trucking for the fun of it I say "Better Safe than Sorry."
well done Mike. muzy