Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Lull 622 Locking Differential

Lull622 · 2023-12-30 21:03

Hi, I'm new here, and I had a general question about locking differentials. I have an older Lull 622. It has a manual locker handle in the driver's cab via a cable that runs into the front drive differential, to a shift fork that moves a toothed "collar" gear that then meshes and locks the axle. I'm 90% sure the teeth on this gear are toast. Jacking up the front end, and moving the shift fork in either direction doesn't lock the axle as it should. The locking collar gear is likely unobtainium at this point, but I have a parts book in case something pops up. In the meantime the telehandler drives ok, except when it's on snow or ice, where having the option to lock the differential would be very useful. Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but would welding up the open diff be a mistake or lead to catastrophic failure anywhere, like an axle breaking (where say the locking collar would normally break its teeth, as has already happened)? Are chains a good option for heavy equipment in snow, more preferable than welding the diff? I don't have enough knowledge to know if a Lincoln lock is a bad idea or not, just looking for some answers to make winter time usage viable. I also came across some manuals for this machine if anyone needs any info. Let me know.

Replies0

No replies yet.