Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Lull 844 34 tt 1986 brakes heat up ?

Brb1976 ยท 2015-10-29 06:21

I just purchased my second mid 80s lull. I just got the 1986 machine delivered. BUT due some unfortunate circumstances the delivery guy couldn't make it all the way to my property. So I needed to drive it 3 miles up a mtn rd. The seller warned me that there is a factory defect in the brake design that causes the brakes to over heat and forces the machine to stop. Turns out he was right! Only made it about 1/2 mile and could hear the brakes grabbing. Turns out this system uses a drum/pumpkin design which has hydraulic lines running to it. I waited for 30 minutes tried to move the machine and the brakes were stillooking siezed. The machine is still waiting there for me half way up the mtn in the rain. Does anyone have experience with this issue? Seller told me that they rebuilt the brakes several times to try and fix the problem. I have a working 1984 same model that uses a different braking system. Any insight is appreciated. Otherwise I'd going to be a long trip home. ...

Replies5
  1. #1joestewart2015-10-29 19:39

    Do you have a photo of the "drum / pumpkin"? Do you have the "wet brakes" where the discs are bathed in hydrualic fluid / lubricant which requires addition of a friction modifier? Show us a photo of your axle which includes the brake portion.

  2. #2Brb19762015-10-30 14:00

    Joe, thank you for the response. Attached is an image of the brakes housing.

  3. #3Nige2015-10-30 14:24

    I'm not an expert with these machines but the seller's explanation smells like 3-week-old fish to me.......

  4. #4Brb19762015-10-30 14:35

    i dont believe it's a defect. Like most things, there is a simple explanation. Probably the wrong fluid!

  5. #5joestewart2015-10-30 19:23

    OK, it appears you have Spicer 1350 axles with the pinion mounted wet disc brake assembly? I've got to confess: I don't know the first thing about them. The wet brakes on my 644 are out on the ends of the axle. My 644 maintenance manual does not cover the pinion mounted disc brakes either. But here is something that may help. Go to my google drive and download the manuals for the Spicer axle. They don't cover much, but they do mention a "cooling system of the wet disc brake". But they don't elaborate further. This may be what is wrong with your brakes. Check it out and if there is any problem downloading, let me know. Here is the link: https://sites.google.com/site/deerebrown/