Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Lull 844 Cuts Out

orion39 ยท 2012-12-06 16:41

I have a '99 Lull 844 that I need help with. A couple days ago it started cutting out, what I thought was randomly. I changed the fuel filter, and drained the fuel tank and put in new fuel, and it still cuts out. Today when I was using it, I noticed a pattern in the stalling - It stalls only when moving. In neutral, everything operates fine, but when moving, it will randomly jerk and then stall with no change in RPMS. It will start right back up after the stall. There is no pattern to the frequency of the stalls. The fact that it does not sputter, and starts right back up leads me to think that this is not a fuel issue. The lift is used quite a bit, and yesterday it stalled about 20 times, and today only twice. Anyone have any ideas? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Replies2
  1. #1VoodooMojo2012-12-06 19:13

    Check for power at the fuel shut off valve. Seeing it starts back up immediately, you may have to run it with the voltmeter/testlight connected and in view of the operator to monitor if the power goes away when it cuts out. where abouts in Maryland?

  2. #2icestationzebra2012-12-07 00:57

    Could be a bad relay. If the power is fine, it is probably the fuel shut off solenoid itself. These are a weak spot on the non-common rail Cummins B and C series. ISZ