Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Lull 844 fuel tank rust

sadegs ยท 2021-11-20 10:34

My lull 844 engine was bogging down. I drained the tank, changed the filters and it ran perfect. 2 weeks later, same thing again. The bottom of the tank has a pin hole rust leak. Is it worth trying to clean/repair or just get a new tank? Any ideas where ? Looking up online i could only find one for $4k Thanks

Replies4
  1. #1Jonas3022021-11-20 10:47

    If you have a tank renu near you they can fix it up https://www.gastankrenu.com/locate-a-dealer/

  2. #2Tenwheeler2021-11-20 19:35

    Does the bogging down have anything to do with the pin hole in the tank? As for the leaking tank I have repaired some gas, diesel and air tanks. Cleaned them out as best as possible. Used gas tank sealer from Napa, O Relies and Summit. All is well so far.

  3. #3Txhayseed2021-11-20 21:40

    I would just fix it. Its a common issue. Assume the hole is in the bottom ? Over the years Ive tried several methods with mixed results. I did a HD 450 dozed a few years ago with orielys tank cleaner/sealer kit. It didn't work out to good. Tank was just to big to roll around and coat the entire surface. If its got holes and you can do it or hire it out i would cut the top or bottom, side where ever your hole is then you have access to get in there with a grinder with a brush on it and really clean the metal. Then weld back what you removed while fixing rust hole. There are several ways to get the job done. Just depends on what you feel like doing.

  4. #4sadegs2021-11-22 11:12

    thanks for the advice. I think the time to clean/weld and seal the tank will be less than replacing the entire tank. also, will be a lot cheaper as well. thanks