Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Lull Deutz F5L912 proper cold start up procedure?

Jennifer P. · 2026-02-14 13:29

Hey Gang, I have an early Deutz F5L912 with intake air heater.. I can not find a great instruction on how it should be used properly. I have been thru the wiring and the fuel/heater unit works as it should. The Heater relay is working as it's supposed to as well. When I turn on the heater unit in the cab I can hear the fuel solednoid click. This opens the fuel passage.. In the usual minute the green preheater light comes on and then I crank over the engine. There is no fuel added to the heater unit in the intake until the motor turns over and once this happens the fuel catches fire or the hot vapor gets into the intake. My questions? Do I shut off the heater circuit once the green light comes on? When do I start cranking? Right when the light comes on? How long do I leave the 12v to the fuel heater after I start cranking? There is no fuel put onto the heater unless the engine is cranking. So if I am cranking the engine but shut off the heater circuit the fuel is cut off so there is not fuel added to pre heat the cylinders.. The heater does stay on from the bi metalic reply about 1 minute after power is removed.

Replies12
  1. #1Simon C2026-02-14 16:05

    I have a brand new operation manual that I will post the answer later tonight. It is in it. Just leaving and just seen your post. Simon C

  2. #2Simon C2026-02-14 22:28

    Here is the instructions on how it works. They used a lot of these engines in the mines. If you adjust valves, keep heads properly torqued,ajust fuel timing, and change fuel filters often they last 20-40000 hours. Hope it helps. Simon C

  3. #3Jennifer P.2026-02-15 10:25

    Thanks a bunch.. This particular machine was shipped to Sweden, fitted with a full heated cab and 10 lights plus brake lights and directionals. The key switch and wiring are different than the American Lull version. I believe the components of the system are correct for the Deutz engine, just relocated to this cab. So I have a key switch. But the heater circuit is on it's own toggle switch. I have not tested to see if the "heater light" will go off on it's own.. I can tell you the glow plug will get bright orange in very short time frame. about 12seconds. I'm guessing I should disconnect the heater unit while I test to see if the glow plug light will go off???

  4. #4Simon C2026-02-15 11:10

    What needs to be done is to test the glow plugs individually, to make sure they are all working. If one are 2 are burnt, then starting will be difficult. Not sure about the symbol that is illuminated on the dash on the right side. An operators manual might shed more light on it. It is for the heater or maybe powertrain something, not 100% sure in any way. The light on the left side appears to be oil pressure related to me. Are those lights just on when key is turned on but nothing started? Simon C

  5. #5Jennifer P.2026-02-15 14:53

    Sorry. I appreciate your response. There is only 1 heater unit in the intake. Fuel when the heater circuit is turned on hits the hot bulb creating vapor and flames in the intake manifold. This heated vapor flame gets sucked into the cylinders helping to preheat them. Yes lights are on with power no running.

  6. #6Simon C2026-02-15 15:00

    I have more info if you run into any problems. Simon C

  7. #7Simon C2026-02-15 16:25

    The one light is the engine pre-oil pressure light that goes out when oil pressure hits the sending unit. The other light on may be the Transmission oil pressure light that also goes out when the pump pressurizes the sending unit. Simon C

  8. #8Jennifer P.2026-02-15 16:27

    Thanks. the fuel solenoid. and then the heater in the intake.

  9. #9Nige2026-02-15 16:47

    Is this not a diesel engine.? There is no fuel in the intake manifold, only air. The intake heater serves to warm up the air so that when fuel is injected into the cylinders it will fire off more easily. According to the symbols the upper LH warning light is for engine oil pressure, the lower RH light is for transmission oil pressure.

  10. #10Simon C2026-02-15 23:53

    Sorry Nige but Deutz did spray fuel into the air intake with a small heater to ignite it and get the cylinder running up to higher temperature sooner. Komatsu's also had it on D155 early models and yes they can fail and drip fuel in. I removed some and we installed Pro Heat engine coolant temperature heaters to make them start wonderfully at minus 30-40 C. The instructions I posted in #3 up above shows the procedure for the heating pipe on the furthest right section of the instructions. Both of the warning lights go out as soon as the pressure hits the sending unit to open the contacts on the pressure switch. Just when you thought you seen it all Deutz comes along.LOL Simon C

  11. #11Nige2026-02-16 08:10

    Well I’ve seen a fair few Deutz engines in my time but never one like that I must admit.

  12. #12Simon C2026-02-16 10:45

    This reminds me of a few Detroit diesel engines that were left hand running engines. That had people changing starters that they thought were cranking the wrong way. Then as an apprentice we were working on a no start Detroit 4-71 that took 3 hours to figure out that the starter that had just been changed by someone else was for left hand engines and was cranking the engine backwards. I say that even if I feel embarrassed I prefer to know exactly how something runs, and move on in life. I have learned a lot from you and many others here and in all the other places I have worked, and usually do okay, but sometimes phone someone else to see if I have missed something. Wait until @Jennifer P. has to do some fuel injection work on that thing, which I have a Deutz degree wheel for doing it, she will be looking for some hands on how to do it as we have all been helped by others to figure out with no timing marks or pins what is what on a old Deutz engine. Simon C