Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

MA hoisting license

wilddanz71 ยท 2008-09-29 20:25

I am overdue to get my MA hoisting licence, I have been running my backhoe and LULL for a couple of years now without one. and I just bought my first excavator (ex 120) any way, my question to fellow MA contractors is where can I go to take the test and is there any training companys that can prep me for the test. And are there any other things on the app. that I need to get signed off, I heard that I need a licenced contractor sign me off saying that I can run the equipment. sorry for all the questions, any help would be greatly appriciated!!!

Replies17
  1. #1tonka2008-09-29 20:40

    www.mass.gov

  2. #2wilddanz712008-09-29 20:53

    Thanks, I have looked there, but not much info. I guess what I am realy asking is, has anyone had any experience with one of those training companys, I am not sure if I should just study the book and take the test, or spend a few hundred bucks and ensure that I pass the test?

  3. #3cat3202008-09-30 07:36

    well when i got mine you needed a sponser that had one then you just made an apointment and took the test up in tewskbery at the state hospital there they had a building they used for other state bussiness. Today i think they have classes for it peterson in woburn center does and has class rooms time for takeing it. what part of MA are you from?

  4. #4wilddanz712008-09-30 11:56

    I am from central MA in the little town of West Brookfield. I dont mind driving to the boston area. but I wold prefer Worcester or springfield because I am about 30 min eaither way. About a 90 min ride to boston.

  5. #5cat3202008-09-30 20:23

    they must have a place out there to take the test too i can't see someone traveling that far to take a test but then again it's the state your dealing with and they don't do things the right or easy way. as far as schools can't help ya out that way. But the test is all really safety and commonsense type questions

  6. #6mikef872008-10-01 19:15

    A kid that works for me took it, it was all hand signals and safety. How deep can you go in a trench with out protection and what not. You need your D.O.T physical and a valid drivers license to take the test. The state I think books the tests based on where the majority of people are coming from. But like CAT320 said his was at Tewksbury State Hospital. I know colleges, VFW Posts are likely places the state will hold the test. It takes about 2 months to get an appointment.

  7. #7LowBoy2008-10-01 20:05

    Another way to get the hoisting license is to go through a Local Operating Engineers hall. I ended up going to a training facility in Sunderland, Mass.,(near Amherst,) one of Warner Bros. old depleted gravel pits that they let the Engineers use as a training site. The way it is done there is all safety like you said, pre-operating inspection, and of course, see what you can do. They have several pieces of iron there you have to build some pads with, do some digging, and mainly do that pretrip inspection in the exact order like I DIDN'T...and flunked because of it. The honcho there has a specific sequence to check a machine out, and I didn't know it, so he failed me. He said only 10% of the people that come through the gates pass, and they're probably 10% that know him from somewhere. Didn't hinder my performance as an operator for a single minute in Mass. regardless.

  8. #8wilddanz712008-10-01 20:30

    I know exactly were you are talking about. But from the sounds of it, you had a bad experience? I think I will have a problem passing all the saftey stuff. I realy dont have much experience operating (by the BOOK) so to speek. I run a small company in a small town, so I usaly dont deal with any OSHA or MA officials. But I want to be prepared incase I ever do!!!! I will check them out and see what they can offer, thanks

  9. #9LowBoy2008-10-02 05:01

    BTW: I dealt with the local in East Longmeadow, Mass. for that deal.:thumbsup Not only did I flunk the pre-op inspection, but I was told to dig a ditch a bucket wide, 50 feet long, 3 ft. deep, then step down to 4 feet deep and go another 50 ft. First with a 416 rubber tire hoe, then a Volvo 140 excavator. In pure sand, so you could imagine the ditch was no longer a bucket wide unless he was referring to a bucket on a coal strip mining rig. He really didn't elaborate that he wanted a nice, clean grade on the bottom like I was running a drainage line, or I'd have given him just that. He just said "a ditch", so I didn't get fancy. That was also my demise. I got aggrevated and told him to put his clipboard away, because I was all done getting bushwhacked. If you're going to take a test, pay money, and take the time out of your schedule to do so, you'd think there would be some kind of a briefing as to what to expect and what they expect. They also "boobytrap" you by planting various size DI pipe underground to simulate a water or sewer main. I found them gently, so that was fine. A little more communication would be nice before the initial testing in my opinion. That's just a heads up if you decide to go that route, wilddanz71. As I said in an earlier post though, I never really missed a day as an operator in Mass. because of not having that silly license. Look at my avatar picture...it's the bucket on a 370 Deere...and I'm on the business end of it, sitting in Westhampton, Mass.:naughty

  10. #10wilddanz712008-10-02 06:16

    Thanks for the heads up, I dont think I will go that route I think I will just take the MA test and hope for the best. thanks DAN

  11. #11mikef872008-10-02 21:24

    There is no more machine test, just a multiple choice written test.

  12. #12DigDug2008-10-03 07:06

    http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopster...ntent&f=dps_faq_hoisting_operators&csid=Eeops

  13. #13newbie12762008-10-15 18:20

    call mass dept of public safety to set up test multiple choice hand signals,colors,laws no test with machine got mine last year

  14. #14wilddanz712008-10-16 06:48

    I sent in the application, just need to wait to hear back for were and when to take the test. thanks dan

  15. #15engineer63122015-04-09 16:51

    Im currently active duty military as a 12N heavy equipment operator and i was wondering is there some waiver for my getting my 2a? i have all the certifications needed for the army to operate all different makes and models of heavy equipment. i have my CDL waiver for the dmv i just didnt know if there was a 2a waiver. il be out of the military in about 2 months and returning home to central ma. if anyone knows the answer it would be very helpful thank you

  16. #16old-iron-habit2015-04-09 22:08

    Not sure about the waiver but the IUOE has a program that gives vets more preference. Contact the Operators Union closest to your home.

  17. #17Wingman4202016-05-23 13:49

    Hi everyone I haven't renewed my Class 1A, 2A license in years and was wondering if it's still a written test? I last took the multiple choice and iit was perfect no bs. Im hoping it is still no bs