Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

maching ductile iron

twr ยท 2013-04-25 08:28

Have been seeing more & more ductile pieces in need of repair, in the past I would just oversize bore & use a hardend bushing,is there any machineable wire out there that will not turn glassy? What are ya'll using for a higher tinsile wire that you can still machine I am using lincoln s-6 is what bortec recommended seems kind of soft, just woundering.

Replies4
  1. #1RayF2013-04-25 08:46

    By ductile iron you are meaning ductile cast or SG iron? If so there is no cheap wire to use. When the job justifies it I use a 60/40 nickel/copper wire.Its expensive. Better is a 100% nickel wire,more expensive again. These are the only ones I know of that don't give you a glass hard fusion zone with cracks in it. For welding steel bores the S6 wire is the best in my opinion. Its a mild steel wire but if welding on to alloy steels it will leach out of the parent metal and give a tough weld deposit.

  2. #2twr2013-04-25 09:27

    Thanks Ray, it seems like if you have to make more than a couple of passes it's not pulling the carbon out, on some boom piviots & bosses we end up gouging them off & replacing ,thanks

  3. #3RayF2013-04-25 19:48

    What machines have the malleable castings on the booms. I have come across many with cast steel which I treat mostly as ordinary steel. I see a lot of Hitachi bucket links and levers in malleable cast as well as stuff like back hoe swing castings. A lot of it you can't tell the difference unless you drill it,machine it or weld on it.

  4. #4twr2013-04-26 08:57

    On the booms & bosses they were all steel I was saying when you weld out the egged or worn spot with multiple passes it seems to mushroom out like it's soft.The latest ductile was a suspension part on a caterpillar 75c farm tractor we bored with a step and put in 660 bronze. thanks