Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mack e6 idle

rwatkins ยท 2009-04-30 22:37

Any body got some hints for turning up the idle on one, 1980 dm 350 hp e6? Idle is a tad low so i need to up it about 50 75 rpms.

Replies4
  1. #1Red Bank2009-05-02 20:59

    That model should have a mechanical fuel pump, follow the throttle rod to the pump, there should be a stop screw that you could turn in or out to raise the idle? How low is the idle? My 81 is not to high.

  2. #2rwatkins2009-05-04 15:41

    I found it today. It was around 500or so and it would stall when cold. I gave the bolt a few turns today and it idles fine cold now around 600.

  3. #3Red Bank2009-05-04 20:01

    When started in the mornings in the winter, mine does not idle good and will act like it is going to die, the rest of the year it is fine, so in the winter time I will crank it up and pull out the manuel throttle control in the dash and set it at about 1000 until it has warmed up. Does your truck have this?

  4. #4landtekk2009-05-05 14:46

    I just fired up my 79 Mack and it will idle rough but as soon as I run the winter blend out and add a quart of transmission fluid the power comes back and runs great.The extra oil is great for the older mechanical pumps. Scott