It's pretty handy that Cat paint changes from yellow to brown to indicate where the problem is!
LoL, that's really neat dude. Wish all parts would do that.
Ever looked at the damper case on a Komatsu with a burned up speed sensor. It does the same thing.
You should see when the hydraulics on a piece of equipment when the oil over heats and everything thing below the oil level turns brownish pink.
It's also neat how you can follow the smoke to your electrical problem :my2c
Is that why there are so many brown Cats on the job site just down the road?
Does this one look hot?
the chain of events I've learned alot from this episode, turns out, when that comp gear sheared off it bound up the timing gears and made the crank gear spin, thus allowing for some piston to valve contact. I checked my oil delivery port for that comp and it was all clear, not starving for oil. Couldn't really figure out why the comp died. This motor was rebuilt 2 years ago. I asked an engine builder what might have happened. He said "Did they reuse the compressor after the rebuild?" yes. "then there could have been metal still in the comp to make it fail" ah ha! Now the ironic part is that the dude who built this motor last time quit right as he was finishing up. Like, there friday, gone monday kind of quitting. So I checked this motor over the best I could but always wondered what kind of job he did. It appears he left a message for me written on the block in the last photo! ointhead
Wow, that's just downright mean use of a paint stick!
That is messed up!!! Yet he deserves points for creativity
the whole thing is just weird, like some of the time he didn't care at all and other times he was really putting effort into being vengeful. Examples: you know how the head bolts under the cover are unpainted and the ones outside are, well those were just placed randomly in and out. And one of my personal favorites, he lined up the ring gaps on the pistonrings!
Did YOU PO him? Hello. Did YOU **** him off, or was it just the job and this engine just happened to be "it"?
Ha Ha! I annoy everyone at some point or another, but when this happened , I had just been hired and was the new guy, he was the foreman. I think his anger had been building momentum for a while.
to clarify, I didn't know this guy well enough to say what he was thinking, it definately would seem he didn't care in the end, but I really didn't find the "smoking gun" to be able to accuse him of sabotage. When he quit, I had the opportunity to inspect the engine and I checked torque on all critical components, spun it by hand and eventually fired it up and let it drive out. Maybe he thought he was pulling some harmless annoying pranks, but I don't think he set the compressor to self destruct two years after he had left. I just hope now this truck will stay out of my bay for a long, long time.
If I was the one that owned that Truck, and after 2 years that happened, we all know the rest .... its called no warranty ..... there were many times when I had major service done just before break-up (logging) and the truck would sit for periods of 6 mths or more then you would fire-up and go back to work and a week later "POOOFFFF" ...ohhh sorry you're out of the parts warranty ...... the next thing would be called a "contract" ..... I would take out a contract on the guy who set me up ! ...... probably why I now own 2 excavators ( one for back-up.... LOL) .......... Never Ever mess with a guy who owns Guns and an Excavator .....LMFAO