Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Magic in a can

RobVG ยท 2010-12-03 12:15

Have you ever gotten a miricle product to work? I've tried Aerokroil, Liquid wrench, PB blaster, "Free" ($14/can) and others with little success. The only one I got to work well was liquid wrench on a transmission drain plug. I've also tried the Locktight "Freeze" stuff. It' supposed to get down to minus 45 degrees but you can spray it on your hand all day long. Doesn't feel like -45. You've got Barsleak and Alumaseal that might work for pinholes but who want's to put that gunk in your system? Gasket remover? Yeah right... One product that did work was Blaster air tool conditioner. It brought a 3/4 impact wrench back to life. Anyone have much success with these product or others?

Replies51
  1. #1Dwan Hall2010-12-03 13:43

    snake oil

  2. #2RonG2010-12-03 15:34

    Zep 45 is the best penetrant that I have ever used.It has saved my hide many times.Not easy to find but I will never be without it.That stuff eats rust.Ron G

  3. #3heavylift2010-12-03 16:41

    50/50 mix acetone and atf is suppose to be a good rust penetrating oil..haven't made any yet ... so I can't tell you how it works...

  4. #4Mike L2010-12-03 17:04

    zep 45 and pb blaster always worked for me

  5. #5Lee-online2010-12-03 18:39

    I use PB Blaster at work and it does ok. At home i use Seafoam's Deep Creep and that is the best i have used. I fixed my truck last year and replaced the exhaust manifold studs because two had broken off. I sprayed them, let it sit, pounded on a socked and they came right out.

  6. #6willie592010-12-03 19:30

    Deep Creep is some pretty good stuff, and there are many good chemicals that we all use for various tasks that make our life easier. But magic in a can? About the only thing I've used that performs as it's stated on the can is starting fluid. :tong Have to admit though, haven't tried Zep 45.

  7. #7kanewolf2010-12-03 19:33

    Pabst Blue Ribbon...:drinkup

  8. #8buckfever2010-12-03 20:06

    ointlaugh:falldownlaugh I've tryed PB blaster, wd 40, marvel, and the best i've found is heat (hot not yellow or white) and atf. worked quite a few times. PBR is swill. now jack daniels is good liven

  9. #9willie592010-12-03 21:38

    Well, that is certain to stir a whole new conversation of magic in a can.

  10. #10koldsteele2010-12-04 10:46

    They work pretty good it just takes too many :falldownlaugh

  11. #11tuney4432010-12-04 11:59

    I swear by the fairly new blue canned Freeze Off.The trick is to spray, whack your rusted hardware/part some and then IMMEDIATELY,if not sooner,loosen her up.I did my own very un-scientific test last Winter against PB Blaster and now I'm convinced.

  12. #12RobVG2010-12-04 18:18

    Lee, are you saying the studs turned out of the block or- the nuts came off without breaking the studs. If it's the latter I'm going to try it.

  13. #13deerefan2010-12-04 20:27

    We use kroil in our shop all the time, works awesome if you soak the part and let it sit for a good 24:

  14. #1495zIV2010-12-04 20:49

    My dad swears by a CRC product called Knock'er Loose: http://www.crcindustries.com/ei/content/news-knockloose.aspx Claims its as much more effective then Kroil as Kroil is compared to PB. The truck I'm on now had WD all over it, I gave a bunch of it away and just used the rest of it to spray a wheel that was getting hot because that's about all it's good for. I've got a can of the Knock'er on the truck waiting to use it. For lubrication and protection I use Fluid Film: I also forgot about the greatest miracle in a can(bottle actually) that was ever developed Acetylene Mix with oxygen and a ignition source, everything comes apart.

  15. #15Lee-online2010-12-04 21:20

    It was about half and half.

  16. #162stickbill2010-12-04 21:26

    Acetene and a pipe makes a good cannon too.Shot a Rat 50FT.out of one

  17. #17Randy882010-12-04 22:23

    Miracle in a can or frog **** as I'd like to refer to it makes a guy feel better that he sprayed something on it but thats about all I've ever had it do, it also gives a person something to throw [empty can] when your upset and you don't want to loose a good wrench or have to go fetch it. I'd second the acetylene and pbr comments as being way better, the only real good any of the spray cans do is when you use a lighter they make a real nice mini torch when done right, helps light camp fires, wd40 also works nice when sprayed on minnows for fishing, gives them a brighter glow for a few minutes to catch walleye with, thats the best use I've ever found for it though. Hair spray works great to make a potato cannon fire nicely. Either works good to start a cold engine with and also as an electrical cleaner and parts cleaner when your out of brake cleaner.

  18. #182stickbill2010-12-05 18:42

    Either works good to seat tubeless tires on the rim too.Not OSHA aproved though.

  19. #19typ42010-12-05 23:36

    Aerokroil is good for turbo bolts and Lawson makes some stuff called Open and Shut that has simply amazed me. Wd 40 isnt even good fire starter since they dont use propane as propellant anymore. And the atf mix with cheap laquer thinner works awesome, just need to let it sit and soak a while, works on vw beetle exh nuts and those are the worst.

  20. #20mitch5042010-12-05 23:52

    Randy and Bill, believe it or not, I bought a case of "enviromentally friendly" starting fluid from Wal-mart, and it wouldn't start an engine, seat a tire on a rim, or even burn when I threw a cup of it in a fire.

  21. #21RobVG2010-12-06 00:59

    That was your first mistake Mitch. You have to look for the products with the biggest and brightest warning labels. If it's got a skull and crossbones on it, it's got to be good.:thumbsup

  22. #22tuney4432010-12-06 02:57

    Did you find that fluid in ''automotive'' or in the ''pharmacy'' dept.????

  23. #237.3stroker2011-01-27 16:10

    Howie's Lubricant best stuff ive ever used i got a free can at an ag expo by me down here

  24. #247.3stroker2011-01-29 13:04

    heres a link http://www.howeslube.com/multipurpose.php i belive it can be bought at oreilys

  25. #25NoCrapmatsu2012-01-17 23:39

    Decided we could talk about this again since i have been wondering if there was anything new out there. I tried the atf and acetone mix with a torque wrench and found nothing. now it wasn't the most proper experiment but from what I figured it didnt do much, and i tried all different mixes with other stuff in it that i had kicking around and nothing seemed to work as good as a cheap can of wd. and you can use the wd for cologne at the tractor pulls. Anybody ever tried the old beeswax trick? I have been meaning to but never got around to it.

  26. #26deerefan2012-01-17 23:46

    Guy I know shoots use to shoot a squirt of zep 45 in his 1" impact everytime he used it, he said he had to stop it started hittin so hard he was breakin snap on sockets and wheel studs

  27. #27RonG2012-01-18 04:57

    No lie on the Zep45.I have preached it before,it has saved my life many times.Actually it smells pretty good too.Ron G

  28. #28tuney4432012-01-18 05:08

    Again,see post # 12.I don't think I stuttered.After you get it off spray it with Fluid Film.

  29. #29blitz1382012-01-18 11:05

    6in1 kinda hard to find but worth it

  30. #30dannyboy9502012-01-18 11:30

    Bee's wax works quite well as long as you do not get whatever yer takeing apart too hot. Crayloa brand crayons work real well also since they are still made of bee's wax. Keep a box in my tool bow all the time. Gotta admit I have received a few strange looks when people see them crayons in the top my box. LOL

  31. #31NoCrapmatsu2012-01-18 23:20

    I specifically said in my post if anyone found anything new, no need to be rude about it I saw your post and took a mental note about it because I have wondered for a while if thatbfreeze off stuff works. Dannyboy, good to know about the crayons, if I saw them sitting there I would probably wonder what the hell they were for too lol.

  32. #32buckfever2012-01-19 19:51

    We have this stuff I belive it's called krawl. It comes in a orange and black can and smells like lysol cleaner. We've had some good luck with it but man does it stink.

  33. #33orville2012-01-19 19:53

    I used bees wax on a couple of 3/8 bolts in a exhaust manifold last summer. Had real good luck with one but not the other. After reading an above post I am wondering if I might have got the second one too hot. Right now I have a rung off 1/4 20 bolt in an exhaust manifold soaking in Gunk brand pentrating oil. If I had a tig welder at home I would weld a small piece of metal with a hole in it to the stud, heat up the casting, give a twist and hope for the best. Anybody have any suggestions for a 1/4 inch bolt with a rung off head? I feel it takes a lot of luck to drill it out and get a tap in the original threads.

  34. #34smittysrepair2012-01-19 20:51

    I think you are referring to Kroil. It is made by Kano Laboratories. They make some really good products. Here is the company's website. http://www.kanolabs.com/

  35. #35eric122012-01-20 00:21

    ive herd it works great but you have to put it in a metal container cause it ate through a friend of mines plastic spray bottle and it got all over his work bench...

  36. #36orville2012-01-20 11:58

    In an above post I mentioned that I have had luck and no luck using the beeswax. Would you be willing to explain what you feel is the correct procedure to use beeswax. Like I might have used too much heat on one bolt, how much heat do you use?

  37. #37TOM V2012-01-20 16:00

    These are my favorites, the red can seems to work miracles.

  38. #38heavylift2012-01-20 17:17

    I'll bet your hard hat has a holder for two cans of that red stuff

  39. #39buckfever2012-01-20 20:02

    You are correct. I looked at the can at the shop today. Tom V, do you have any luck with the Kroil?

  40. #40smittysrepair2012-01-20 20:10

    I love the stuff but dang it is costly. Also you can buy it direct from Kano usually for less then anywhere else. Of course I only live about 1.5 hours from the factory and drive by there fairly regularly, so you can probably guess where I buy mine at. lol

  41. #41orville2012-01-20 20:14

    The Aerokroil seems to have got the most praise for having good results. I will look for in locally, if I can't find it their web site was posted here. My mother used a lot of the stuff in the red can, not the same brand though. That stuff worked so good that she would line the hood oranament up with the edge of the road to keep her car where it belonged. Her second husband (not my father) died with liver problems because that stuff worked so well. He also drank a lot of the better stuff that comes in the tall glass bottles. There were a couple of guys that were bragging that a couple of different brands worked better than that of another. Without killing one another in the argument over who had the better product it was decided to pour a sample into a couple of flasks and sent it to the university of Minnesota for an analysis. The report came back two weeks later. It read Both horses are perfectly healthy. No ill feelings meant, thanks for the suggestion on Kroil. I looked at your thread above and saw your work so your recommendation is taken in high regard.

  42. #42jeff1122012-01-21 00:56

    As the rest have stated along with myself have tried just about every thing out there to remove that stubborn nut bolt and stud,my first choice now is "rapid tap" yes cutting fluid! with a little heat first it draws it in where it needs to be to work, low smoke and does not catch in fire very easy.

  43. #431080 bobcat2012-01-22 17:47

    Yep i found that rapid tap or buttercut threading oil & little heat does wonders. the best pentrating oil i found was what mystik oil used to make they dont make it any more

  44. #44tuney4432012-01-23 12:28

    Please explain to me how anybody would know what EXACTLY ''new'' means to you.We are all putting up our favorite''rust busters'' here,whether old,new,wives tales,or whatever--take the advice for whatever floats your boat.I was hardly being rude,I only do that when my X pisses me off and we haven't talked in over a year so there's all the proof you need.

  45. #45NoCrapmatsu2012-01-23 13:16

    I meant new as in not previously in this thread. But it dont matter, i may have got a little snappy in my post. And i hear you loud and clear on the exes.

  46. #46RobVG2012-01-23 21:30

    That doesn't work with a cab over. I thought I'd mention I did get a gasket remover to work. Permatex "Chisel". Took three applications but it loosened the gasket up enough so I didn't put any scratches in the surface.

  47. #47absoluteequipme2012-02-06 00:54

    regular old dot 3 brake fluid breaks rust loose like nothing but otherwise i use kroil

  48. #48FRISKY2012-02-09 01:00

    This isn't "miracle-in-a-can", but a wise old engine builder passed this technique on to me...and it really works! When trying to get a stuck bolt or plug out of steel or cast iron I heat the area and apply a candle so that the wax melts into the threads.

  49. #49RobVG2013-03-25 22:18

    P-80 rubber lube. Just bought my second bottle. This stuff works. Great for rubber push-lok hose, radiator, intake and other hoses. Also makes installing Chalmers suspension bushings a snap and helps with stubborn taillights.

  50. #50Jedstivers2013-03-25 23:57

    Free really does work, have to hide it though. PB Blaster is the most used. LocTite has some good things too. When putting on rubber hoses Ace Hardware's Plumbers Greese is some good stuff. Use starting fluid for electrical cleaner when I'm out, parts cleaner, tire mounting, wasp spray and well, starting. Like gasoline better though for starting but did slip and fall one time and spilled to much and bent some things. Use it in a water bottle with a knife hole pricked in the top now.

  51. #51Rob Gunn2013-03-26 09:03

    I've had the best luck with simple Dot-3 brake fluid. I keep a spray bottle on my tool cart at all times and just spray it on whatever needs help. Its not instant and sometimes a little heat may be needed also but it has worked for me for many years. I never had any luck with any of the other "magic in a can stuff". Just to try it, I may pick up a can of the sea-foam deep creep, I have had good results with regular sea-foam added to gas to clean carbs on old tractors. I guess its worth a try?