Saw an episode of Gold Rush where the mechanic sealed a leaking oil pan on a dozer with some kind of silicone. Anyone one know what it might be? Looks like it could come in handy.
it is on the shelf with "rebuild in a can" and "instant head gasket/cracked block sealer" Snake oil...
That's what I suspected but it worked, or so they claim.
Should have used dow foam in a can.....
I didn't see the episode, but check out Permatex "The Right Stuff" gasket maker. I don't know about it being magic, but I know quite a few mechanics who swear by the stuff. You apply it and reassemble within 5 minutes. You can refill the pan or diff immediately.
Lol... Saw it on gold rush... Must be true!!!!
There is more discussion about that repair starting at post #289 here ➡️ HeavyEquipmentForums That is a big gamble on a high dollar engine. I saw the episode myself. The so called mechanic didn't even clean out the oil pan before he bolted it up.
I almost missed it at the store the other day they had it on the shelf behind the high pressure duct tape you use for fixing hydraulic hoses.
My parts supplier keeps theirs right next to the "can of compression" and the "muffler bearings"...
You can't learn anything on teevee, they are as likely to lie as tell the truth.
The one I saw he used a long brush and painted it on because it was on the back of the pan. He didn't take the pan off. Makes it even more suspect.
I think what he means was they dint even clean off the belly pan, wich of course doesn't do anything for performance but taking all the old dirt and oil off of it would certainly go a long way in seeing if it leaked again. The guys there can't be as dumb as they look, it has to producers scripting nonsense for them, last time I checked I wasn't in competition to see if I could install more lawns than the next guy, just working hard to pay the bills, but apparently in the Yukon it's all about competition, Todd VS Parker.....give me a break....
Ya , my bad. I meant belly pan. ops That so called competition is a sorry way to make a tv show interesting.
IMHO any of the participants in the aforementioned show who have an IQ much higher than room temperature are in the minority ...........
I wish i could still work 18 hour day so i wouldnt seat down and watch stuff like this. I would be ashamed of my self to be on a show like Gold rush. A true show were they didnt do stuff like this would never go over it would be boring for most poeple that dont know that you cant fix a leak like that.
Now that is funny Nige !!! As usual you are absolutely correct. Thanks for the laugh.