Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Magnetic Hydraulic Fluid Filter on Dump Truck

Shadetree9 · 2025-02-18 03:06

Hello everyone, I have a Ford F800 dump truck. The hoist cylinder is single-acting, it has only one port. There's a 20 gallon +/- hydraulic fluid reservoir connected to the hydraulic pump, and a second line connects the hydraulic pump to the hoist cylinder. There are no filters that I can find anywhere in this system other than this magnet (see attached photo). I pulled it today when changing the hydraulic fluid and it was loaded/coated with fine ferrous material. I wish I had taken a "before" photo. Anyway, I worry that this device is sufficient to protect the pump, but I don't see a way to put a more conventional filter into this system due to the cylinder being single-acting and the way everything is connected. I would appreciate any advise.

Replies1
  1. #1Coaldust2025-02-18 03:46

    Traditionally, sometimes these systems use a filter on the return side. It would be easy to add one. But, some people don’t like them, but your mileage may vary.