Ok, this may seem to be a silly question but I go by the saying that the only silly question is the one you didnt ask. Part of my current job involves looking after a stockpile of sand which is around 1000 ton, and smaller stockpile of rubble around 150 ton. I have been doing what I have done in the past; Have one side of the pile for loading trucks, and another side for the trucks that are unloading (due to the size of the area we really only have 2 sides we can work from with fencing etc). I keep a little ramp so I can track off the pile and straight to the rubble pile. Between trucks I ensure that I have enough sand withing easy reach for loading ensuring that I dong load over the cab of any trucks. Am using a 30t digger and loading 12t tippers. Have been finding it working pretty smoothly and the trucks are getting out quickly and I didnt think there where any issues, untill???? Had someone from the head contrator tell me that I need to tidy up the stockpile, and have neat edges all pulled (battered) up to the top the the top of the pile levelled off!!! Sorry wasnt aware we had to get into my stock piles neater that yours lol, I have always worked on the idea that, a stockpile should allow somewhere for trucks to unload quickly, and somwhere for trucks to pull up, get loaded and get out quickly. Whats others ideas, veiws and experience on the matter? Cheers
The only reason I can think of for having a 'tidy' stockpile is to reduce dust. I would talk to your direct supervisor and see what the go is, that way everyone knows whats going, end of the day you have to do as you are told. Why stress, you're getting paid by the hour and not by amount of work done. I would argue the point if it affects the safety of the operation, like having to swing the bucket over the cabs of trucks.