Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Maintenance/ disassembly of bottom rollers_Kubota KX161-3

Justin Payne ยท 2015-09-08 04:04

Hello, I wonder if anyone can give me some hints about bottom rollers. In connection with a change of a rubber track, I had a look at the 4 bottom rollers on this side. One of them seems as if it lack bushings completely, having a VERY lot of play. The other 3 are hard to rotate. I have taken all 4 off the machine for further inspection/ dismantling. Are these rollers normally "maintenance free" (no need to regrease them) They have no grease nipple, but have a small plug. I have not managed to disassemble any of them yet. Looks like I might need a hydraulic press? Anyone have experience disassembling these? I have removed a piece of spring wire, and they should be able to break apart, but have had no luck with the sledge hammer yet.. Would appreciate any advice!

Replies3
  1. #1Cmark2015-09-08 04:50

    Track rollers, especially on small machines are usually considered to be consumable items. Throw them away and install new ones.

  2. #2lantraxco2015-09-08 11:42

    I'm with Cmark, you're far better off just buying new ones.

  3. #3Huntoon2015-09-11 02:04

    Typically, rollers now are considered "lifetime (lubricated)" rollers, and like the others said, they are usually replaced, not repaired. Older rollers had grease nipples for daily greasing. The plug is for inserting oil. I have heard people pumping grease into the plug to get a few dozen hours more out of the rollers when they need to...