Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Major issues with Cat 3054 engine

Tgc68 · 2021-04-25 23:18

Had this skid(asv positrack rc85) for about a year and have never had any major issues. Only issue was the skid kept getting air in the fuel lines. After filter/hose replacement everything seemed to be working just fine. Then this morning when I started it up it sounded rough and not normal. I had it at low idle For only about 2 or 3 minutes as I was just staring to inspect the engine when all of a sudden bright white smoke came pouring out of the exhaust and bottom of engine. I quickly shut it down. Once the smoke finally stopped I noticed a huge hole and pieces of cast iron all over the ground. I know it’s bad I’m just hoping it doesn’t need a whole new engine. I’m new to skid steers and this is my first one. Picture below. Oil and coolant was full and in good shape. No metal shavings in it or anything. Thanks

Replies12
  1. #1Caterpillar #12021-04-26 00:02

    She gone, you need a motor.

  2. #2Tgc682021-04-26 00:04

    That’s what I figured. Any guess on price? Sadly after some of what I read on these engines I don’t have much confidence in a used one. Thanks

  3. #3Caterpillar #12021-04-26 00:12

    If you Have engine serial # I could get exact drop in price from finning Canada.

  4. #4Tgc682021-04-26 00:14

    I’ll have to get it for you in the morning. Thanks again

  5. #5lantraxco2021-04-26 01:11

    Might be able to do a long block, if such is available.

  6. #6Coaldust2021-04-26 01:47

    Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

  7. #7Tones2021-04-26 07:25

    Do what many have done, throw a Cummins into it. Sadly those engines were junk, a naturally aspirated version of the engine used in the RC100

  8. #8Vetech632021-04-26 07:46

    Another example of the 3054 detonating itself into oblivion. It seems its never something simple or cheap on those.

  9. #9Birken Vogt2021-04-26 10:36

    What is the pedigree on this engine? What would it be if it did not have yellow paint? Some kind of Perkins? Do they grenade when they have other color paint on them?

  10. #10Tones2021-04-26 14:39

    Yep. Pukins

  11. #11Tgc682021-04-26 17:07

    Yup she’s toast...was hoping to get away with long block but not happening. Time to start searching for an engine

  12. #12Vetech632021-04-26 17:08

    Perkapiller. More perka than piller