Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Make sure ya’ll are using Bonded Fuel Hoes on transfer tanks

Dozerboy ยท 2013-09-08 17:16

I know diesel ain't going to burn off just a spark, but better safe. We had a guy report he was getting shock while pumping fuel. We check out the wiring. It was fine. It came up again that people where getting shocked. It turned uot we had a non bonded hoes on the pump and the static build up was arcing from the nozzle to what we where fueling. We have a good vid of the arc have to see if I can get and post it.

Replies9
  1. #1clintm2013-09-08 17:25

    I have noticed that the new ulsd fuel is thinner and there seem to be more hwy trucks catching on fire in wrecks.i think the flash point is lower. it also seems to evaporate faster and does not leave as bad of smell on your clothes or hands. has any one else noticed this.

  2. #2Dozerboy2013-09-08 18:53

    Diesel has always have a pretty wide range for a boiling point ETC. I think after all these years of ULSD this is peer speculation, but...

  3. #3FSERVICE2013-09-12 00:55

    i spent a few years working for a propane company as a service man on dispensers like at KOA, U HAUL,few others. static electricity is really bad stuff, its amazing how slow motion video can catch the spark jumping from pants leg to a hose to ignite a fire that the guy there swears just started outa nowhere!! (there was a small gas leak at the valve connection to provide the gas) The less humid it is the worse it gets also. just make sure everything is grounded good with the right ground clamps/rod

  4. #4td25c2013-09-12 21:13

    Not a bad idea Dozerboy. Aircraft are grounded with a cable & clamp before fueling to prevent a spark. Funny story.... My buddys John Deere 755 high lift blew a hydraulic hose when he was working under a high voltage power line.I had the batteries removed from the machine & it was very hot that day so I was covered it sweat . Whenever skin would come in contact with the machine I would get a good jolt from what I assume was the static electricity from the power lines.

  5. #5FMD2013-09-13 09:43

    Do you have a photo of your bonding technique for your nozzle? All of our 55 gallon drums are bonded, but our UST fuel dispensers are grounded. From my understanding if the dispenser is grounded properly (NFPA 407..<10,000 ohms) you wont get static except from the static from the person NOT from the dispenser or nozzle. I know when I worked with GSE at the airport, they had ALL of the GSE bonded AND grounded on fueling.

  6. #6Dozerboy2013-09-13 17:02

    The nozzle is grounded through the use of the proper hose ideally, or you run a cable to ground/nozzle/tank.

  7. #7oldtanker2013-09-15 02:24

    Wanna bet that it wont? I know of 2 cases where it did result in an explosion and fire with diesel. One was in a motor pool in Mannheim Germany. Improperly grounded fuel tanker went up. Kid on top the tanker was lucky and had minor burns and a broken hip. The 2nd one was just a couple of weeks later at Ft Knox, another tanker, government civilian employee on top the tanker when it went. Again improperly grounded, the blast threw the guy into the air. He came down on a fence and died of his injuries. In both cases the tankers had pumped 1,000s of gallons without being properly grounded and had huge static build up. Both places were hot and unusually dry when the tankers went up so fumes and dry air played a factor. Rick

  8. #8Catpower2014-01-25 21:01

    td25c you are correct on the induction working under the power lines. I will have to measure my hose and see if it is bonded, I don't pump much fuel off just to the trucks tank so figure I won't get too much static buildup?

  9. #9ValleyFirewood2014-01-28 06:46

    Bonded "hoes". Sorry but I just had to laugh! I'm just picturing a girl working a corner and "customers" pulling up and asking is she is licensed, bonded and insured.