Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Making a consistent slope

Welder Dave · 2021-07-26 19:02

I'm going to be working on my oval track and need to put a consistent slope on it, mostly in the corners. The bottom half of the track has a 3% slope but there wasn't enough material to make the slope the entire width of the track (65'). I have additional clay to build the slope and just wondering what the simplest way to roughly spread the clay is? I don't know if I'll be able to get a grader to come and do it. I have a box blade I put gauge wheels on that are individually adjustable. Thought maybe I could set it on an angle to maintain the slope the full width of the track?

Replies12
  1. #1treemuncher2021-07-26 21:30

    Back when I used to run a grader, I used a cheap plastic line bubble level on the dash of my grader. I should think that you could mount a level on a 3 degree shim to your blade for a fast check of the setting while working. I'm sure there are electronic options also. I've also installed Lev-o-Gages on lots of my equipment over the years. There are numerous models with different degrees of reading available and larger sizes are available for some models. I found this pic on Amazon.

  2. #2Welder Dave2021-07-26 23:35

    I was thinking of something like that to set the box blade at 3 deg's.

  3. #3skyking12021-07-27 01:36

    Cheap magnetic pipe level on top of box blade. It has a 2% line on it. I have used one on a mini for years to cut sidewalk grade. I put it on the sheetmetal in front of the pedals for easy reading. I toss another on the blade to check the "calibration".

  4. #4muzy2021-07-27 18:18

    Think he would like to know how to do it, not how to check it. Cheers

  5. #5muzy2021-07-27 18:24

    I would over fill cut with fill compacted in 6 inch lifts, thean cut to grade. Dozer , grader track loader. or box scraper. Box scraper would give me a sorer neck thou. Cheers

  6. #6Welder Dave2021-07-27 18:49

    I think a level gauge would help. I'd like one that shows percentage of slope but don't know where to buy them? I was thinking of calling an equipment dealer to see if they sold them or knew where to get them. I can find RV level gauges but not the style I'm looking for.

  7. #7muzy2021-07-27 19:00

    Never thought I would say it but there is an APP for that. Cheers

  8. #8treemuncher2021-07-27 19:35

    I have/had one of these among the others that I own. Shows degrees and percent of slope all on one unit. Lev-o-Gage were the best of the ones that I've tried. Amazon, Ebay, boating supply and numerous other retailers sell this brand of unit. https://levogage.com/products/product_45936a3e-790f-e1be-8d3c-6d3d466a249c

  9. #9Jonas3022021-07-27 20:15

    http://www.slopemeter.com/mechanicalslopemeters.html we buy them though the cat dealer

  10. #10Welder Dave2021-07-29 20:25

    Cat has a slope meter but it's only graduated in 5 percent increments (0, 5, 10, 15) and costs about $120. I found this Empire Digital magnetic level that shows percent and got it for $85. I'll be able to stick it on multiple implements, the tractor and the skid steer and the bucket as well. I think I could use it to calibrate an RV level for showing the proper slope I want. Interesting that it's made by Milwaukee. Empire®, True Blue® Digital Torpedo Level Magnetic 0.1° +/- (vallen.ca)

  11. #11Tunneldigger2021-08-11 18:43

    I hope I can describe this right about a homemade level. I took 1 inch pvc 15 inches or so, I put a tee on one end and a 90 on the other end. Put a threaded plug in the tee for a filler plug. Then put a street ell on both ends so they are pointing toward each other but pointing up a bit. Cut a short pipe to act as a barb. Then I cut clear tubing hose so it would be the area to read the bubble. You put black tape around clear to be the lines on the level.

  12. #12Tunneldigger2021-08-11 18:46

    Dont know what is happening